E30 starter screaming on warm start

The engine starts normally when cold and will start easily enough when warm. However, on a warm start the starter usually lets out a shrieking noise while it is cranking over. Bad bendix perhaps?
I'm not sure of the age of the starter and have owned the car for a little over 5 years. The car is a 325ic. The Bentley manual says that to replace the starter I have to first remove some heater hoses that are in the way. It looks like if I drive the car up on some service ramps first, I can get to things easily enough from below. Anyone been through this and know the easiest way to remove the starter?
Thanks, Christopher

Sounds like the solenoid is sticking.

It's a horrid job because the bolts are so hard to access. I think a crowsfoot adaptor would be the way to go.
Squealing starter motors usually mean dry bearings. Some have phosphor-bronze bearings which are presoaked in oil when new but dry out over the years. A messy job but the only answer is to remove the starter and replace it or oil the bearings. If the squeal is after the engine fires then it could be the bendix as it spins, again needs oiling.