Camry fails on Warm Start

My son has a 1994 Camry that sometimes fails to start, and it's always when the engine is warm. It has never failed to start first thing in the day or after it has cooled down but it occasionally fails to start when it is still warm from been driven and he then tries to re-start it.

Any idea what the cause can be?

By the way, he took it a ship and they they apparently replaced an ingnition coil, or ignition switch coil (I don't have all the details yet), but that clearly didn't fix the problem.

Thanks for any ideas.

Reply to
acunniff

Change the coolant temp sensor.

Reply to
Rog

Thanks, Rog, we'll look into that.

Update: my son's car has another symptom--do you think it's related to the above? After he starts it, when it is in Park or Neutral, sometimes it revs up repeatedly, without him touching the gas pedal or doing a thing. This revving stops when he puts the car in Drive.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
acunniff

Lean roll. Sometimes a symptom of a "lethargic" O2 sensor response. Can also be a dirty IdleAirController valve. Neither will trip a Check Engine light at this stage. The O2 Dynamic Resonse Test is outlined in the shop service manual.

--

  - Philip
Reply to