E36 325tds EGR and Inlet manifold full of oil

I have noticed recently that my egr is leaking alot of oil through the vent hole. I took it off at the weekend and noticed that the inlet manifold is
covered in thick oil.
I have very limited mechanical knowledge, but I am trying!
Is it normal to have thick oil in the inlet manifold? Also the egr was really thick in oil.
Is this a serious problem?
Many thanks T