E36 BMW 325TDS Auto 1993

Hi, I have the above car and have been running it for nearly 2 years. The only problem I have is a big niggle really, without any warning the fuel gauge goes to empty. This happens even on a full tank!
The tank senders seem to be OK, I was wondering whether this is a well known fault with this model?
Is there a firmware upgrade or an electronic fault that is causing this?
I have run out of diesel a few time because of this and it's really annoying.....
--
Bob Moore

** remove spam from email address to reply **
Robert G Moore wrote:

More likely a bad connection to the sendor, maybe a wired chafing somewhere?
snipped-for-privacy@unixnerd.demon.co.uk says...

The wiring to the senders has been checked out and in any case the fuel gauge rteading changes even when the car is making NO movement at all.....