This weekend I have been mainly

Putting new discs, calipers, and pads on the front of the Saab.

Cost nearly as much as the car cost to buy. The pads on the passenger side were nearly gone. The pads on the drivers side were worn unevenly, and the disc had started to cut into the backing (where the rusty crust forms on the edge of the disc) and I was getting judder before that. Caliper on the Passenger side wouldn't retract the piston far enough to seat new pads.

So 1 Knackered Caliper on one side, 1 Shagged disc on another, and 2 sets of shagged pads. Decided I might as well do the lot while I was at it.

So order 2 ATE discs, and 2 budveg refurbed lucas calipers from eurocarparts (must rememeber to send the old ones back and get my £60 exchange fee), plus a set of front Ferodo Premier pads from Halfords cheap enough.

Two afternoons worth of work, breathing plusgas and brake dust, and wiping the mush out of my eyes, and I have brakes that work.

Next job, rear pads and discs. I don't think the rears are doing that much at the moment, but the discs look pretty worn, so I guess I'll do pads and discs, and clean up the calipers.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

the SAAB has rear discs? cool

Reply to
Vamp

Yup, Saabs always had rear discs since the late '60's, even the basic ones.

Reply to
jb

shoulda said u wanted some brake bits, sort you out wid some discount......

£60 exchange fee thats quite steep....
Reply to
Theo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I'll leave that till they are bedded in, and the rears are good first. Damned new soft squidgy brakes (they bled properly and they do stop you might fast, just not much of a bite to them).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Yeah, £30 per caliper, and £59 for each recon caliper. Is a bit steep.

Could have gotten one brand new caliper for £45 from Neo Brothers, but they only had one, a drivers side. It was the passenger side I needed most.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Are they bigger brakes than standard or have you just bought all the bits to replace them? If they're bigger you might get the rear brakes locking up first due to forward weight transfer. IIRC you're running normal SAAB wheels and Avons, so you'll probably lock the fronts before you get that much weight shifted to the front.

Reply to
Doki

Standard replacement. Ain't many aftermarket calipers with a front handbrake. Budveg refurbed Lucas/Girling calipers. Ferodo Premier pads. ATE cast iron un grooved, un drilled solid disks.

I've been in a car that had the job done, and the difference over mine, even on the track was phenominal. They were so smooth, quiet, and effective. Mine where rough, slightly juddery, and eventually V noisy.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I could have gotten grooved Discs, but at about £60 the pair minimum, instead of £32 the pair for the ATE's. I think I can manage with what has been proved to be a very reilable warp resistant disc by people who drive far harder than me.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

He had a Cav 1.8 before tho, they have rear drums. Only 2.0 litre Cavs are endowed with rear discs.

Reply to
Lordy

Agreed - although only for a short period.

Reply to
Nom