e36 "miss fire" Is it the dreaded VANOS?

My 1999 e36 328ci (yes - e36)has a tendency to chug a little when it is humid during gear shifts. When the engine is in lower rev's there is the
feel of a miss fire happening which immediately clears up once into the power band. When the engine is scanned - nothing comes up in the computer to point to any issues - at all
Some suggest that this is a VANOS issue. Some also suggest that this is a characteristic of the engine (Which I have a hard time believing). Is there any "fix" for this specific type of issue?
Make sure your battery is fully charged and making a good connection. I had this after changing a battery. Lo RPMs felt sluggish, sometimes even bonked. At hi RPMs teh altenator has more amps available and supplies the engine better.
Good Luck
Al F