Dreaded P0442, P0455 on '02 TJ Sport

Okay, so warranty expired a few months back and now I start getting the dreaded P0442 and P0455 MIL errors (small and large leaks in the evap emissions system). I have reset the computer several times and they keep coming back - no other errors though.

So I want to start by replacing the gas cap as some have suggested elsewhere. Local dealership (the only one for 150 miles in any direction) wants $20 and they would have to order it! Is there anywhere online I can get a factory gas cap for a reasonable price?

What other things should I be checking related to these codes?

Any ideas greatly appreciated . . . JELo

Reply to
JELo

Have you checked to see what the emission control warranty covers? I think that warranty is longer than the vehicle warranty. You may still be covered for this system.

Reply to
Howard

When I had those same codes last Fall, I traced all the evap lines from the tank to the canister and found a short piece of hose had split right at the purge solenoid. Replacing it cleared my codes shortly after for only $2.

-- K.Campbell '01 TJ

Wry-mouth

Good question, hadn't thought of that. I have heard there are differences, I'll have to see what I can find. Thanks, JELo

Reply to
JELo

I had this problem, I found that a plastic connector leading up to my intake manifold from the valve cover was cracked and pulling air... covered it with some duct tape (i know, redneck) and stopped the leak/error codes from popping up. Now if I can only find out what to call it so I can get a new one from the dealership...

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Here is a parts list for the CCV system:

Mike

Troy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Wow thank you very much! I noticed the front grommet was leaking a small bit of oil onto the valve cover, maybe this will fix it also?

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Very likely. That system has a constant suction and is really finely tuned with the intake from the air filter. If the small plastic tube blocks up, which happens pretty often from what I have seen or breaks or leaks, then the engine's normal blow-by will go back into the air filter even, let alone just to the grommet.

The grommets also get hard and then leak. I have used RTV on a few to seal them to the cover. They have to be really clean first, then RTV will hold great.

Mike

Troy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You have a leak in the gas cap, or the gas cap is missing.

0442 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak) 0455 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

I would not even consider the cause for the 442, and focus my attention on the 455. After all, a small leak is only a small leak until it is a big leak, but a big leak is a small leak in the beginning. My guess is that your cap is not being put on well, or it has a diaphram of sorts inside that is failing or has failed. either way, you need a gas cap. If you have a locking gas cap, take it off and leave it at home for a couple of weeks while you use the factory gas cap, or any other gas cap for that matter. Clear the code and replace the cap, and see if the code comes back. I don't think it will, and then you can spend the Family Fortune, or your kid's college fund, and buy a new locking gas cap.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That is a rubber hose.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That is the plastic CCV line Jeff, I gave him the parts list.

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I am the only one who drives this thing so I can't blame it on the wife this time . . . but I did notice that the cap 'ratchets' way too easily. So I suspect it is not sealing properly. Never wore out a gas cap before!?

So I pulled the line that comes from the gas tank and attaches to the charcoal canister in the engine compartment and connected a little tire pump to it. With the pump running, sometimes the line and tank would hold pressure when I screwed the gas cap on and sometimes it wouldn't. So that may be the culprit. Hmmmmmm

Thanks for the ideas, I'll check the other hoses too. JELo '02 TJ Sport

Reply to
JELo

In any case, limit your search for now to physical leaks and forget about sensors and crap like that. The code(s) you are getting are the same fault in varying severities, when you find the gaping hole and fix it, the code for the minor leak will go away.

You are aware that you can check out the code reader from the auto parts store and reset the codes, right? At least you can use the code reader for free in the Once Great State of California, now known as the People's Republik of Kaleefornia. You can buy one on eBay for about $75.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
mic canic

Out here in the boonies (north central Wyoming), Jeep is a sideline for the local GMC dealership and they'd really rather sell you a GM product so they don't stock much in the way of Jeep stuff. JELo

Reply to
JELo

Have looked and looked and I can't seem to find anything that even looks like it could be a hose related problem. At only 22K miles, everything under the hood still looks realy good. I'm going to keep looking though.

I did get one off of Ebay a while back and it has proved useful in a few situations. At least now I can erase the codes without having to reprogram the radio!

Thanks to all for the help, JELo

Reply to
JELo