E38 radio/nav display screen problem

2001 740iL w/nav - in radio mode, occasionally I get only a horizontal line instead of the station id, song title, etc. Also, the "Select"
button becomes non-functional. Anyone ever had this same problem and found a solution? It just started recently, so I'm not sure a software upgrade would be the culprit, but you never know... Thx