E39 (528i 1999) Goes down no matter which directon is pushed!

Just noticed this issue - I roll the windows down often, but always from drivers console. They all work fine this way. My son tried to roll the window down and back up from passnger (front) seat. The window went down
(would not go all the way down automatically like the rest do) but when he pressed up, it kept going down. I played with it some; same thing.
Hopefully just the switch? Anyone seen this before?
thanks, Mike

Probably some shit in the channels/guides. Does it work with your switch? If so it could be the switch but the stop go wind down is akin to the safety feature of stopping your kid strangulating himself winding up the window with his head in the opening.
No, it works correctly (completely) from drivers switch... only manual donw (when rocking either direction from passenger side). Seems like a switch since it works from the otherside.
Someone told me to try rolling all the way down and hold it for 10 secs, the all the way up and hold it for 10 secs - no change.
Are the switches hard to get out?
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in

There won't be as the controller already knows where the window is on it up and down because it stops at the top and bottom. Look at the switch to start with - try swapping for another like the opposite side switch first.

I popped the switch out and swapped it with one of the rear switches... the problem did NOT follow the switch. It appears to be something in the wiring, relay, or controller. Anyone know which relay I should check for the passenger front window (controlled by the passenger switch)? Any other ideas?
thanks, Mike

please bear with me.
Being somewhat as a past expert on the foibles of ROVER electrics......... Can I suggest........
Somewhere in your car (ask the dealer or look on the EWD CD if you have one (if not I can sell you one)) there is an electronic control unit that has all the chips and memory functions of the roof and windows.
The ROVER had it under the left front seat. The game with the Rover was to remove the box, open it, re solder all the joints, reassemble and screw back into the car.
However another problem was the wiring connectors in/under the side front and rear B pillar corroding and giving a bum signal to the control unit.
Might be worth investigating. the Rover at the front end need the fenders/wings un-bolted to get at the connectors whereas the B pillar ones were hidden under the carpet and stuffed into the base of the B pillar.
Check it out.

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in
ok, thanks - was hoping it could just be a relay or something easy... if not, I can probably live with the way it is :-).
Hi There is probably a bad contact on the general module.{this controlles all the body electronics.} it is located behind the glove box.Remove and clean the plugs there and try it again.
Clive B

Could be affecting my power seat and steering wheel issue too (maybe?) - Is it pretty easy to get to? I guess I remove the plastic tray below the glove box and drop the box down? Any other tips?
I removed all the lower covers and trim off the other side in an attempt to trouble shoot the steering wheel motors.
Mike

More than likely --------- BMW do stuff the electronics is the most inaccessible places - hopefully we don't have to access the stuff too often

Hi The best way is to remove the glove box completely. the control units are easily accessible from there.
Clive B

Thanks, will give it a shot (I already have the other side all apart, might as well take this side apart too). If you have any tips for a more successful adventure, please pass along.
Mike

I removed the glove box and unplugged the "general module"... the module and connectors all looked fine. With it unplugged, I could still use the windows and they worked the same.
I did notice that I could put a fuse in the drivers seat and steering wheel adjustment (was blowing before) with the module unplugged. When I plugged the module back in, the steering wheel moved for a minute then the fuse popped again.
I ordered the Bentley manuals, hopefully I can track down more to test with a wiring diagram.
Thanks anyway.

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Memo to self - send BMW-AG this one too.. for someone who isn't selling copyrighted material you seem to be a very busy boy Oscar.

I see you are using a Netgear router?
Is the EWD CD you mention better than what's in the Bentley manuals? I am interested, how much?
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in