e39 subwoofer

There is a subwoofer Hanes in the trunk of my e39 (530d touring), it's written 2x4 ohm but nothing else. Does anybody knows how many watts it is? Thanks Claudio

Reply to
Claudio

Oh dear - how to down-class a decent car into the world of Corsas and Nova's

Reply to
DCA

How is that down classing? The audio in my BMW sucked until I added a small sub in the trunk to fill in the bottom end. I even had the premium sound package!

BMW's are notorious for their poor sound systems, a sub can be a life saver and does not necessarily mean thump, thump thump down the road.

Reply to
Devils944S2

I agree..standard system is truly awful.

It is possible to appreciate decent soudn as well as decent cars.

No idea on the original question though.

Reply to
Russ (www.e36coupe.com)

Its the stigma of the base-bin image that puts me off - don't get me wrong, I know the benefits as I have a large one in my lounge, it's just that...... I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from.

Reply to
DCA

true, but thankfully the e39's are so well insulated, you have a hard enough time getting the bass into the attached passenger cabin - let alone eminating from the boot area to the rest of the world!

I've got a 10" sub in a sealed box in my e39 and whilst it's adequately loud inside the car, outside, you don;t really hear it. Sure, you can hear the low notes a bit from outside the car, as you'd expect with low frequency sounds, but it's certainly not rude-boy loud....and there's nothing vibrating itself off the car either, which also helps it be less noticeable from outside the car!

Reply to
Russ (www.e36coupe.com)

...but anything about my question?

Ok, i can agree this sub isn't a real sub but that it is. Even i'd like to add my Beyma b100 15'' 8 ohm but where? And then how many ampli should i add? I need room in my trunk. So that i'm looking for informations about that awful sub.. :)) Bye, Claudio

Reply to
Claudio

My local dealer told me it's 100w.

Reply to
Claudio

Its actually approx 10W RMS and pathetic !

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Are you sure? So that i'd risk to burn it. Now it's really pathetic, it's the same if it wouldn't be. Could you suggest me some ideas about a sub in the e39 trunk using the same place in the right side? Thanks Claudio

Reply to
Claudio

Yes - mine was a double-coiled item, made by Nokia(!) that looks like it cost about 10 Euros at a cheap shop... and I had paid some 600 Euros for the Premium sound package with 11 speakers - worst money I ever spent.

The BMW sound systems as stock are / were very bad and my suggestion is to spend any extra money with an aftermarket sound shop to improve things. 600 Euros should go quite a long way !

Burn out the "sub woofer" - best thing for it - mine was a 4" (10 cm) item in a plastic box - what a joke !

Are you listening yet, BMW !

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Thanks Nick! I'll see what i can do. Claudio

Reply to
Claudio