ECU's -- differences.

I have 92 e32/m30 735i
I put a chip in & wanted to be able to switch back to "normal" mode easily (swap ECU/DME boxes -- vs pulling the chip each time) for available gas.
Anyway; I picked up an module with the same bosch # -- but the bar codes are different.
When I put it in; the car started, idled fine -- but soon said "TRANS PROGRAM" on the dash.
I shut it off; but my chip'd one in & all is fine.
My question is -- how different are these ECU's? If I Put my original chip in this ecu - will it work? is it the CHIP that controls this box more than the other bits that make it up?
If swapping the chip will resolve it -- the question begs, how can chips be made "generically" for manual & auto tranny's?
Thanks -josh

The 2nd ECU box is probably set up for a different transmission than your original. On a car with an auto tranny, the ECU looks for the EGS (transmission computer) and if it doesn't see it, throws the TRANS PROGRAM fault.
Kyle. 98 740iL 01 525i
It would stand to reason the logic for the auto resides in the chip. Swapping it should solve things.
Blake

Swapped chips & no difference.
Is there a jumper or a shunt? Strange that the controller would have the same part#.
Blake
Same BOSCH part # -- not the same #'s everywhere else.... Dont' recall a jumper or DIP switch or similar..

Just swapping chips probably won't make a difference. The ECU's are coded for different cars using the BMW diagnostic computer at the dealer. That info does not reside on the chip that gets swapped to map the fuel/air mix.
Kyle. 98 740iL 01 525i

Weird -- it tossed that trans program error on both manual & auto cars...