En gine size

Page 1 of 2
Folks, would anyone have an opinion as to whether buying a 3 series car with 30,000 miles on the clock,would be a worse deal than buying a 5 series
with the same mileage?Both being otherwise equal..I'm speaking of engine longevity.ie;are the engines of these models the same and only differ in cubic capacity?
Regards

EH ? What on earth are you gabbling on about ? ?
.If you can't understand the question,you can't understand anything.!

I have a 520 which I bought because I could not find a 3 series I liked in the time frame allowed.
Now when I sit in a friends 325, I am annoyed by how small it is. I have grown to love the extra room in the 5.

What do you do with all that extra room?
jom wrote:

Try sitting in a z3!

The engines in them are the same, period.
FloydR
They're not the same period,they're bigger.That means the the cc is different.Read the question.
wrote

wrote

Floyd is mostly correct. (In the U.S.), the 3 and 5 series share the same 3.0 liter 6 cylinder engine in both 215 and 255 hp versions. The 5 series is also available with a 5 liter V8. So if you are comparing a 325i with a 525i, the 5 is larger ( a little over a foot longer) and weighs about 75 pounds more - but the engine and drivetrain are exactly the same.
Tom K.
"G.Gordon" wrote

Would you like to provide the source of your (mis)information?

Which 3 series?

Which 5 series?
If we're talking about same model year, then a 325i and a 525i share the same engine; same thing with 330i and 530i.
Pete

Perhaps if G.Gordon would look at http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech-1.asp or http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html , it might make more sense to him.
FloydR
G.Gordon wrote:

Your question was flawed. The two cars (3 series and 5 series) are available with the exact same engines. You did not specify which engines you were talking about.
Don't be such a putz. You can go back to wherever you came from now.
--
-Fred W

You need to learn how to post.
I am a flagrant top poster, but when I follow another person in a discussion, I always observe the way they posted.
I've seen three of your posts, and one was the original that started this thread. In the other two, the reply was posted below your questioin, and YOU posted a follow-on at the top.
Now, you are arguing the answer to a question you asked. If you are going to argue the answer, do not ask the question. Given the way BMW names their cars, a 325 and a 525 have the same motor. The 5 only has a bigger motor if the last two digits are higher than 25. For example, the 535 is larger than the 325 of the same vintage because the last two digits are higher. The 530 has the same motor as the 330.
wrote

Thanks to everyone who responded to the question,even the people who had a go at me for some reason or another. I'll away and mull over the feedback.Regards.
wrote

Nobody had a go at you. You asked, they answered, you argued, they replied to your argument. Your original question was flawwed at best, and yoru premise was flat out wrong.
In a BMW (for the most part) the first digit (3, 5, 7) refer to the body or chassis, the last two digits are the engine size in liters. If the last two are 25, then the motor is 2.5 liters, 35 is 3.5 liters. After the '96 model year they had to distinguish from the OBD I (1) and OBD II (2) motors, and the 323 and 328 were born. These are essentially the 2.5 liter motor, and one is detuned a bit. So, if you were to compare a '95 325i against a '96 528i, you have the same motor, but the 328 is OBD II compliant. Its displacement is the same as the 325i.
PS You still need to comply with the posting ettiquette, observe how the discussion is going and follow along. I'm not going to rant about top posting because I do that alot, but I typically only do it when I am the first to reply to a new post, or when others are already top posting. It REALLY sucks to have one person (you) top post when the others are using the proper format. Get with the program, or go away.

<snip rest>
"Jeff Strickland" wrote

Another "discrepancy" is the current 325i and 525i sold in the US. They both have a 3 liter engine.
Cheers,
Pete

Really? I didn't realize the '96 E36 328i was a 2.5 liter, since both my '97 Z3 2.8 and my E46 328i displaced 2.8 liters.
Tom K.

Yup, it's true. The E36's M50 motor is badged as an n25 and n28, but its displacement is always 2.5L. It's also badged as a 323. The 323 and 328 (also 528) are OBD II motors, and are different essentially in the torque and horsepower, while the displacement is the same.
I'm not sure about your 97 Z3, I think it also gets the M50 -- which means it is 2.5L. I could be wrong on that point though.

Z3 had the M52, IIRC.
Tom K.

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Better re-check your "facts" Jeff. Up until the end of the '95 MY the only six available (in the US) was the 325, which was an M50 engine at 2.5l displacement.
In MY 1996 they changed to the M52 engine and it was a 2.8 liters. The 323 model was added in 1998 and it had a 2.5 liter engine. The idea was to highlight the performance advantage of the 2.8L over the 2.5L (323i) engine.
Later, in MY 2001, when the 3.0l engine was released they went back to labeling the 2.5l equipped cars as 325's. But that was the E46 by then.
So the only E36 model which was "mislabeled" as to engine displacement was the 323.
--
-Fred W