Faulty Fuel Gauge Sensor

2001 X5, 3.0 L engine.

Recently, my fuel gauge in the console is giving me errant readings. After a full fueling (19.8 gal.) the gauge only read 1/4 full, then slowly went down to empty. Considered maybe a leak since I was on a trip, so pulled in to another gas station and topped it off with only 4 gal. Still, the gauge only read 1/4 tank. So whats wrong? Fuel gauge in the console, or fuel sensor in the tank? An easy fix?

Reply to
GTK

Usually it's a sensor (one of two) in the tank. On mine a wire had come loose.

Reply to
adder1969

Thanks for the posts. My TIS CD shows a pretty simple replacement of both sensors. Trouble is, one sensor cost me $75, while the other costs $285 (thats the sensor/pump). Sure hope its the cheaper one!! I'll be returning the second to the Stealer if so.

Reply to
GTK

Usually they can be cleaned and/or it's just a bad connection. You'll be felelign a bit sick if you have to pay out for a new pump just because a wire has come loose.

Reply to
adder1969