faulty fuel gauge problem

I just ran out of gas on the freeway today - thanks to the fuel gauge problem. My gauge never goes lower than halfway, and I use the tripmeter. Unfortunately, someone must have idled away a few litres, as I thought I had enough gas for til the cheap stations.

That said, I am going to approach GM and see if I can get a new fuel tank sender unit, as this problem began last year or so when the whole gas quality issue came up - it appears some additive destroyed some of the sensors. GM sent me a 20$ bribe for the local Petro Can, which to meet admits they know there is a problem. I just finished with 2 ac delco fuel injector cleaners at the dealer's insistence, so now it's time to get the sender.

Anyone get it for free? My van is well out of warranty, but from what I've read on the net here, that's not the point.

Reply to
Tim G.