Missing at high speed

This is a 325i with M20 engine and it high speeds and high rpms it misses. Nothing at low rpms however.
What are some of the first things to check, plug wires and distributor
cap?
Could it be something else like plugged cat or fuel filter? It has real high miles past 200K and I think it runs really rich.
I would look at coil & wires - cheap & easy

Fuel filter, dist. cap and rotor (very likely) would be my first guess. Motronic systems don't like worn dizzy caps.