Engine surging at high speed

Can anyone tell me what could cause my engine to surge at high speed. I noticed this was happening while driving at a constant speed of about 65 mph. The engine seems to rev for short periods at a time without me applying gas but it doesn't affect the speed of the vehicle. The car is a 95 Plymouth Acclaim with only 23k original miles. Also getting some jerking at low speeds....suspecting transmission....but wondering if bad fuel line could cause this as well...maybe air getting in fuel line??? Thanks in advance. K

Reply to
geo.nova

If the engine is revving up but the car isn't going faster then something is going on with the trans. Have you checked the fluid? Could be the torque converter is locking and unlocking (are you driving with both feet? ) or could be the trans is slipping.

The jerking at low speeds could be any of a gazillion different things. I would start with a complete tuneup.. new plugs, wires, fuel filter and all the rest of that stuff and go from there.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

My 1993 Voyager started surging at idle speed. It was the AIS Stepper. At least I think that is what it is called.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

Also, on this mode you can dump codes by doing the "key on" three times. This may tell you something.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50