mountain bike fit in rear seating area of 5 series E39?

Would a mountain bike fit in the rear seating area of a BMW 5 series E39 saloon car?
ObviouslyI dont think one would fit in the boot unless u dismantled
it?

Dunno about that particular car, but I'd guess with the wheels off it'd go. Mudguards and racks are the things which cause more problems, but I'm guessing you don't have any of these.
I'm also assuming you're not worried/are going to take suitable precautions for muck!
cheers, clive

Or you could work part time for IKEA...
http://www.bike-eu.com/news/article.asp?id "10
David R wrote:

(Free folding bikes given to 9000 IKEA staff...)
I bet they come with a vital bolt missing...

Seen the neighbours; probably the best folding bike I've seen. After, of course, removing the yellow IKEA sticker. Nothing to setup, just unfold, pump up wheels, and off you go. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sold in stores soon actually. They were custom made by Raleigh in this instance.
David R wrote:

I'm just jealous, actually. I'd love a decent folder to ride to work, there's nowhere safe outside to lock my hybrid.
Or a shower, for that matter.
Do you really have to pump up the tyres every time you unfold it??

If you take the wheels off, easily.

A bit obvious surely?
I'm sure it would fit diagonally of the back seats fold down far enough, but then it'll be a blanket-required messy job, especially after cycling in the rain.
Bike rack is better especially the type that doesn't obstruct the number plate. Even better if you have a towbar those type clip on very quickly and won't drop off the back! I have a hatchback and get the whole bike in with wheels - just! But there's the grease and dirt

I had one in the back seat of an E28 with the wheels off. E39 is a lot wider, should be fine.
Remove the wheels and sure. You might want to put a large towel or something to protect the seat.
R / John

Fits fine in my M3 too. Oh wait, that's with the top down.
I can't see why it wouldn't with the wheels off.