My first BMW...

Page 1 of 2
No, it's now a new 7-series<grin>.....
I've got an opportunity to purchase a 318is from 1996 that appears to be in excellent condition, despite the 138K miles on the clock. Yes, I know the
328 and 325 may be more desirable, but the price seems to be in the ballpark (about $7000) and it REALLY looks nice.
There are a couple of good BMW shops around that I plan on having check it out. Are there any things I should be looking for when I test drive it?
Thanks!
Mike Nassour / mikenassour at yahoo dot com

Basically a good car. If it's very noisy when cold I'd fit a new timing chain tensioner, not dear. By 138k the original shocks and exhaust will be getting old. I'd think about fitting new shocks, Boge Turbo Gas work well with the stock springs.

Damn Mike, you following me?
For '96, you will like the 328 much better.

Why....Just because of the better acceleration, or is there something else?
J Strickland wrote:

On 28 Jul 2005 14:51:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The 6 is smoother and more refined, obviously...

Oh, of course. But the local BMW folks I've spoken with who own 3-series cars of this year (or thereabouts) tell me that the six cylinder cars were generally more troublesome. And if I'm dealing with a car this old, I'd like to keep it as reliable as possible.
Mike Nassour wrote:

You know, I have heard this sort of stuff too. Even from such sources as the "Tech Talk" editor in Roundel magazine, Mike Miller.
But I really disagree and would counter that the sixes are every bit as reliable as the 4 cylinders engines in those E36'es. Yeah, there are a few known weaknesses in the cooling system, but as long as those are are watched closely, or once those have been taken care of, it's pretty smooth sailing.
For the negligible difference in price on the used market I would look for a six. Preferrably the 2.8l...
-Fred W
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 07:54:07 -0400, Malt_Hound

Getting a sweet inline-6 is half the reason for buying a Bimmer. 8)
The 6 is a much better motor. It is smoother and quieter and way more powerful. And, the fuel mileage isn't that much different, which means you get a real kick in the ass for practically free.

Many thanks to all here for their kind words. Yes, I have decided to skip over the 318 and set my sights on a six.
What the heck...it's only $$$$ <grin>
More as it develops.
Mike N.
I wish you luck in your purchase for the six. I wish I made that decision.
-- Jason Tepoorten @HOME 8MP Australia

djtep wrote:

There is only one drawback on this: You never ever want to drive any 4banger after enjoying an inline 6 from BMW. You even might look doubtful to any V6 after that ;-)
My first car in 1988 was a 4year old E30 320i with inline6 engine and since then a inline6 engine and rear drive wheel is on my musthave list. These two simple requirements limit your choice of a car to almost exclusively to BMW. At least it did that for me. But hey, better an old BMW than any new frontdrive car.
Currently I happily own an E46 325Ci - you get the picture.
Karl from Germany

Karl Koller wrote:

...and the drawback is what? ;-)
-Fred W
J Strickland wrote:

I drive one daily (44 miles round trip to work) and it's a great commuting car. I'm averaging just under 30mpg (computer says 30.2 but it's about an mpg off from actual). Smooth accelleration, excellent driving and overall balance. Just a sweet car.
I'd think with 138K, you could find a better deal than $7000 for a 318 but really for maybe 1000 more, you can get a 328 same year same mileage.
I've had next to no maintenence problems with mine, partially because the water pump and radiator were replaced before I got it... I would think that for $9 to 10K you could get a 328 with about 100K miles on it and very clean, with that same work already done. Much more of a car than the 318 IMO.
-Karl Winkler http://www.karlwinkler.com/Giovanni.html

What octane do you feed it? (I just bought a 97 Z3 and the owner's manual is a bit ambiguous on the subject...)

My 97 Z3 2.8 averaged 26.8 mpg over 65,000 miles using 93 (US pump) octane. IIRC, the manual indicates that you should use 91 but can pump 87 if necessary. The knock sensor will then most likely retard the timing so the performance and fuel economy will suffer.
Tom
Tom K. wrote:

Are you sure about that Tom? The reason I ask is that I have a '97 Z3 2.8 and it very specifically says 89 AKI (US pump octane), though I occasionally splurge since it does have a small tank.
A lot of the confusion happens because of the difference between octane numbers around the world...
-Fred W

Since I traded the Z3 on a Z4 3.0 in 2003, I'm not absolutely certain. But I just checked the manual for my "daily driver" '99 328i which has a virtually identical motor, and it states 91 AKI recommended with 87 as minimum. Since most stations sell 87, 89 or 93 in my area, I suspect I would have run my Z3 on 89 at least occaisionally if the manual had called for it. My 97 was an early model, one of the first with the 6 cylinder engine, so maybe the recommendation was changed mid year for yours.
BTW, the 2003 Z4 manual simply calls for 91 AKI minimum - I guess the implication is that lower octane will result in your hair falling out or some such!

True - at least we're both referring to the same octane! It might be interesting if you could test fuel mileage under similar conditions with both 89 and 91 (or 92-93) octane to see if the improvement is worth the additional $$.
Enjoy your Z.
Tom
Gerard Weatherby wrote:

I give it 90 or 91, whatever's available. Generally, I go to one particular gas station that has 91.
The manual for this car is pretty specific about wanting 91 or better, otherwise the performance and MPG suffer.
My commute is part highway, part city, and I'm careful not to drive too hard. On tanks where I'm driving a bit harder it might be more like 27 to 28mpg. My guess would be that on pure highway driving (long trips, etc.) it would be more like 30 to 32.
Karl Winkler http://www.karlwinkler.com/Giovanni.html