One key not activating alarm.

I purchased a used Z4 and it came with three keys. I understand the keys need to be used in order to "charge up." Once they discharge they will no longer work.

I had a basic OEM alarm put in the car. Two of the keys activate the alarm but the third neither activates the alarm or remote door lock/trunk functions. I hope it is something as simple as not having a substantial charge (it can be used to manually open the doors and start the car).

Any ideas?

Reply to
grinder

From

"Some cars come with an additional key known as a valet key that starts the ignition and opens the drivers side door but prevents the valet from gaining access to valuables that are located in the trunk or the glove box."

Does that sound like what you're describing?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Morton

No. It has the frequency indication on the back of the key and it opens the trunk. I am going to use it for a while and see if charging it up will help but I think it is bad.

Reply to
grinder

Reply to
Keith

use it for a day and it should charge up while in ignition.

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

"Keith" wrote

The valet key is *NOT* the black plastic *WALLET* key. The valet key has no fob, and if used won't let the trunk open, etc. The wallet key is full-fledged, even though it doesn't have the remote features.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers