valet key and the alarm

I have a year 2000 E320 wagon. about a year ago my wife lost #1 of 2 keys. we (foolishly) coasted along on a single key until this past weekend when I somehow lost the 2nd and final electronic fob. out in the country, 3 hours from Toronto. I was fortunate to have been able to borrow a car so I am mobile for a week or so.

I have ordered a replacement key ($280 CAD but hey, let's just call it a tax on stupidity-- mine.) that I will pick up this coming week. I do still have (in my desk drawer in Toronto so no great help at the moment) the flat plastic non electronic valet key. it won't open the car but it will start it.

Here's the question though (and one which two MB dealerships couldn't answer). If I were to pop the locks with a coat hanger say, the alarm will sound. what happens when I try the valet key? does the alarm stop? does the immobiliser (if there is one) go off and allow me to start and move the car?

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
peter stock

Peter,

You are in luck as you are misinformed. The valet key works the doors and the ignition so you can drive the car, no need to bugger up the weather stripping to try to get in.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

and please excuse my continued ignorance, but how would the valet key work the door? there are no "Open" "Close" buttons on it. It's just that skinny stick of plastic which I presume is coded to work in the ignition. but how would I open the door?

Peter

Reply to
peter stock

ahhh, I see (I think). downloading the 2000 E320 user manual, I see that the valet key apparently has a mechanical blade stuck in it as well. I'd never looked closely and never noticed it before. is this so? in any event, I wouldn't want to be running around on just the valet key so do need a spare key and have ordered a replacement Smart Key. thank you though. Peter

Reply to
peter stock

The valet key should have a physical key to unlock the door. Once in, use the electronic key to start the car and the alarm will shut off.

You will not be able to jimmy the car in any way.

Reply to
Tiger