Re: E46 maintenance and thoughts on E90

I like the E46 better, myself. =A0There's a bunch of things about the

> E90's design that I don't like, plus it's too large for my taste. =A0I > don't see much in the way of advantage.

The funny part is that it doesn't feel that much bigger on the interior for the driver.

Once they get the 328 equipped with direct injection and a dual-clutch > tranny, I might see some real advantages to trading-up.

Any chances of that happen with the current generation car?

I've got some leaky power-steering hoses (surprisingly expensive to > fix), and I'm soon due for the O2 sensors, which is about $1k more.

I was told the O2 sensors needed to be replaced at 100K. However, I was also told that it is OK to drive until they actually fail. The warning lights would just throw up a "maintenance required". Does anyone know if that is true (i.e. OK to keep driving till the sensors actually fail)?

Yes, they are, but spending $45k for a new one, to get those four > "free" years, isn't cheap, either. =A0 8)

Mine will cost quite a bit less than that because I don't load it up as much. I bought my E46 (2003 325i) for ~31K (including CA sales tax). The only option I paid for is the sunroof. But I hear ya...it's still a lot. The car has lost about ~23K since I bought it in Dec 2002. Plus I paid for the extended warranty and service plan, so add another 3.5K, or 26.5K over 6 years. Assuming depreciation is significantly lower from now on, if I spend more than ~5K per year on maintenance, then I would be probably be better of buying a new car. Hopefully I won't have to spend anywhere near that. Keeping my fingers crossed. But the thing I'm worried about most is the failure of the electronics. I had a friend who decided to move away from BMW just because of expenses encountered on the electrical system, specifically the odometer area.

BTW, here's what the 2012 3-series might look like.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop