E90 question

What else is the excuse for the battery that is non user-replaceable? SEND IT IT MY LITTLE DRONIE, GET ANOTHER APPLE DEVICE FOR A PRICE. Apple is the hero of the hippy-stupid. Buy it you fucktards. Talking about my e90 model ipod here of course.

Reply to
Mort

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I have never heard of a battery that the vehicle owner cannot replace. There are lots of batteries that are not user-serviceable, and this has been common practice for many years, but there are no batteries that are not user replaceable.

To replace the battery, disconnect the Negative cable from the battery post, then disconnect the Positive cable. Remove any mounting hardware, remove the battery. Place the new battery into the space occupied by the old battery, reconnect the mounting hardware, then the Positive Lead, finally, the Negative Lead.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Mort

Jeff, he's having trouble distinguishing between a BMW and an iPod. Maybe he's off his meds??

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

You posted a question about an E90 to a BMW news group. The E90 is the current production designation of the BMW 3 Series.

I guess I missed the gobbly-gook about, "posting about my iPod of course." I'm not sure the "of course" part is all that obvious since you posted to an automotive newsgroup.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff,

He is talking about his Apple iPhone.

The battery is not user changeable (and presumably you can't take it out to force a hard reset as in a Blackberry).

There are parallels in BMW - those sealed for "life" gearboxes and perhaps more relevantly the very difficult to change batteries (and certainly NOT by users) on E23 and other models' computers.

It was also a shame if you had lost the code for the radio in many models and had to change the battery...

A regular battery change is not that simple on more recent models - hidden in the boot or underneath things.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

The gearboxes are *not* sealed. The sump unbolts in the normal way, and the box has a filler plug. The GM TH 180 on my other car is exactly the same in this respect...

Changing a back up battery in any electronics is not for the unskilled.

Last BMW I had like that didn't have a factory fit unit. My present E39 has a unique to BMW unit with no code. The idea of a code is to help prevent the radio being stolen - it is no use without it. So you should keep it safe along with the other essential car documents. Not obviously in the car, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't know if its considered "back up" or not, but the battery in the E90 key fob for Comfort Access equipped vehicles is very easy to change - with very clear instructions in the owner's manual. The non CA battery recharges when the fob is in the slot with the motor running and is not user replaceable.

Seems to me that if the OP wants to bitch about Apple products, he's not germane to alt.autos.bmw.

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

As if a stolen BMW (or any other "car" brand) radio would have any market value anyway...

Reply to
dizzy

;-)

The one on my E39 gets the vote for the most over engineered device that manages not to work that well and sound poor all in one go. My previous E34 came from the days when the actual head unit wasn't factory supplied (in the UK) - you got to choose your own. And pay for it too... But the speakers were factory fitted. And sounded miles better than the E39 ones. Both just single unit drivers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the UK a while back, lots of Fords were having their stereos stolen because of a

*myth* that they contained a chip that could defeat security on some satellite decoders giving access to some encrypted channels.

So, for a while, they did have a value to the idiots that believed the *myth*.

Best wishes

David Skelton

David Skelton