Maintenance thoughts

Hello All
I have a friend with a 2005 Prius, just going past 30,000 miles. of course, the dealer wants to do a 30,000-mile service at, yes, $500 +.
I haven't seen her service manual, but it looks to me from the Toyota site that it's
Oil change (Might let the dealer do, since she can't do it, and I just did Explorer and I'm tired....) Rotate tires (Might let the dealer do if it's reasonable since it's pain with just a floor jack - we'll just double check the lug nut torque) Replace cabin filter (She did this recently) Replace air filer (We'll do this ourselves .... in our sleep)
and a lot of checks (some of which we'll do ourselves and others we'll expect the dealer to do with the oil change AT NO ADDITIONAL charge, since he's prospecting for work and normally checks this stuff whenever she does an oil change anyway.).
One big surprise it the engine coolant - 100,000 miles, really?
Anything else that anyone recommends? Otherwise we'll assume about $50.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Regards,, Anthony Giorgianni
For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group
Oooops, just saw Fred Seaver's great post on what Prius owners need and don't need.
So looks like the few items I outlined are right. Can't beleive that coolant recommendation. $500 +! I can believe these dealerships.
Regards,, Anthony Giorgianni
For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group

Sounds as if the dealer is about to hose you. Filter changes are all that is necessary.
Save your money for a headlight bulb change which will be coming soon. Our '04 had one changed out this spring.
When they tell you it will cost $300.........believe them. We paid $225 for one at NAPA.
Now, why did these bright eyed engineers design such an expensive headlight system?
PROFIT! Bill Gratchic RN

wrote in message
I am wondering the same thing. After importing my 05 Prius to Norway, the DMV is making replace both headlights because the parking lights are orange and they are supposed to be white. I have them in the garage but haven't installed them. Close to $1000 for 2 headlights. I guess I will take the old ones back to the US next time I go and try to sell them on EBay or something. If only it had been possible to open the unit and remove the orange glass...

Would that be the HID headlights? The H4's installed in european models are a self change item - 10 minutes of work, 10 bucks a lamp.
Mediocre light output, though.
cu .\\arc
Now another dealer is recommending a transmission fluid change. Nothing in the recommended maintenance for that either..
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
Anthony Giorgianni For everyone's benefit, please respond to the group