Used Z3

Thinking of buying a used Z3. Are there good years and bad years? should I go with the Auto Trans or stick with the manual. Are there options to avoid or options which are a must have?
What about the 2.5 vs the 3.0 engine? I'm looking for dependability rather than all out performance. Any input would be appreciated. Also any thoughts about buying through Ebay Motors.
Milo

Make mine a 3.0i, final year of production ;-)

Manual! More fun and less likely to have expensive faults.

Both are great engines and from the same series, so if you get a good deal on a 2.5 go for it.

Buying on ebay is fine, I've bought and sold BMWs there in the UK. Just be sure to check for good feedback and don't get ripped off. Pay a deposit up front, but don't pay the rest until you've seen the car in person and checked the paperwork.
Email the seller and ask a (sensible!) question. If you get a terse answer from someone who can't spell or punctuate a sentance it's not a good sign! If they sound nice and helpful so much the better.
John Burns wrote:

A great example of poor spelling above:
"sentance"
you can keep your sale mate LOL

Piss off!
This group has been humming along doing just fine with the assorted top posters and mis-spellings. We don't need a new-comer nanny.
If you have something useful to say, say it. Else shut the hell up.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Wow, Jeffy, what's got you so stressed out? Have you been reading more evil scientist's "blasphemy" about things that happened on Earth millions of years ago, when the Earth is really only 10,000 years old?
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Oh - you big and frightening person <quiver/frightened> Tell you what - if you wish you keep communicating with your select little group - why don't YOU piss off and create your own private yahoo group and leave public ng's to be just that! - PUBLIC newsgroups for all and sundry to offer comment.

You are the new guy here, try to get along.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

I have been mainly dormant here for well over a year - not an anorak but there you go. So old boys club can say as they please and I can't comment huh? My post was tongue in cheek as could be seen by anyone who wasn't bruising for a battle. Treat with courtesy and get the same back - you have no more 'rights' than me and no exclusivity. Making others welcome would be good.

DCA - go back and be a lurker as it will save us all the trouble of kill filing you.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Nobody cares.

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Oh dear - I have been discussing with a complete idiot who thinks he speaks for 'his' newsgroup <laughs> Top posting DOES bother people - you do not speak for everyone. Your opinion and parameters for my contributions into 'your club' are just the rambles of a fool You just carry on fella! What a cock!
Yawn.
DCA wrote:

--
JRE

JRE wrote:

anther intelligent contribution a US idiot!

Ooohhh -- irony!
-- Larry
You are yet to make any contribution that remotely approaches intelligent.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

looking back - yours are lacking too.

So you have seen his cock?
And top posting - who cares? I don't
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Jeff Strickland wrote:

And it was your own.
Tell us what you think about evolution, how it's all bunk, Jeffy.

Been the owner of the Z3 since it was new in 99 and its a fun car. As the years went by the engines got bigger so if speed is your thing go for the bigger engines. There is a sub-frame issue but you can check for signs of trouble by pulling the carpet from the bottom of the trunk and look for broken spot welds on the left hand side of the floorpan close to the front of the trunk floor. If they are broken go find another candidate.
Manual is more fun than automatic if you don;t have to drive in heavy stop-and-fo traffic.
RJD
Good luck Milo - you'll love the Z3!
I have successfully purchased 4 cars on eBay and there are still plenty of Z3s listed. Check the seller's previous ratings. Do a lot of communications via email (if possible) or eBay email. See if the seller will provide his / her phone number. It sure relieves a lot of concern to talk with the seller. Study the pictures posted carefully. Save them on your PC and blow them up looking for body flaws or too large gaps in the sheet metal (possible accident damage). I have not regretted any of my eBay auto purchases.
I purchased my 2001 Z3 on eBay. At the time I was doing a lot of stop and go driving so I got an automatic. Now I wish I had a stick, but I'm still happy. Of course if speed and power are your thing - get a 3.0 M series. Also, there are a lot of after market add-ons if speed is your delight.
My Z has been very dependable. It doesn't appear to have ever been garaged (I don't have a garage) and the top shows it. I will need a new top in a year or so. The plastic window was totally fogged and had a dark line across the center when I purchased it. Mequirer's (or whichever your favorite brand) plastic cleaner made it (almost) perfectly clear. The center line still shows, but it is hardly noticeable.
I suggest you read the forums / groups on the car to help make your decision. If you ask the same question at
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/z3rides/ you will get a lot of support and answers.
Check out the Z3 forums by signing up at bimmerforums.com
http://forums.bimmerforums.com /
Regards,