Help needed for Z3 Hardtop Installation

I've got a hardtop for a Z3 with all mounting hardware attached to the top but not the brackets for the body attachment. It is currently attached to the car by the two mounting bolts at the windshield. Any web sites, clubs, or NC dealers, body business that can detemine and get the parts I need without buying the $500 BMW installation kit? Not necessary for the electrical hookup. Thanks for any leads.

Reply to
Dawgwalker

I'm not sure on a Z3 how the rear hardtop attaches. I have a 1996 328iC convertible, added a hardtop that I purchased on EBay. The rear has two attachment points that hold it in place. I bought the attachment kit from Checkered Flag BMW in Virginia Beach and installed it myself. It has two metal adapters and some electrical fittings. It has been a couple of years since I bought it, but it was no where near $500. If I remember correctly, it was somewhere in the $100 to $120 range. The electrical hookup works fine through it, the two lights come on, and the defroster in the window glass works. I usually leave it on all winter - the rear window is a lot bigger than the one on the soft top.

I just looked up my 328 and a representative Z3 in the BMW ETK (parts manual on computer). It does look like the Z3 attachment is designed considerably different. If the BMW dealer does charge $500, you would be well advised to join the BMWCCA. Most dealers will extend a discount to any CCA member upon showing their card. If you are also in NC, the main club is out of Raleigh, they meet in Greenville, and have just started meeting in New Bern (along with other places in the state). You can go to

for more info. Since only a minority of BMWs are equipped with the hardtop, it is not really highly likely that you will find these parts in a salvage yard (but not impossible).

Jim

Reply to
BallroomDancer

The story ends with the dealer ordering and installing the kit because it is just as expensive to order the two chasis brackets separately. Total with labor $800. Beware of purchasing hardtop unless the installation kit is already installed.

Reply to
Dawgwalker