98 Z3

I just got a 98 Z3 and do not have a manual. There is a button that I do not know what it is. ASC? What does this button do?

Or can I find an online manual?

Reply to
Randy

On 7/16/2006 5:00 AM, Randy went clickity-clack on the keyboard and produced this interesting bit of text:

DON'T PUSH THAT BUTTON! WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T PUSH IT! It activates the self-destruct mechanism!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's actually the Automatic Stability Control button and changes the way the car handles. Basically it changes the way the power is sent to the wheels when traction is not equal between the drive wheels.

Reply to
Voinin

So when should it be used,,,,,,,in the rain,,,,,,,snow?

Reply to
Randy

There also two other buttons one is A and the other M. What do these buttons do?

Reply to
Randy

On 7/16/2006 5:59 AM, Randy went clickity-clack on the keyboard and produced this interesting bit of text:

I don't have a car with ASC so I really can't give you an informed suggestion. Play around with it and see what you like. Perhaps somebody else can give you some tips.

Reply to
Voinin

On 7/16/2006 6:01 AM, Randy went clickity-clack on the keyboard and produced this interesting bit of text:

Google is your friend. You might also want to go to your local dealer and see if they can help you.

Reply to
Voinin

If there's a F button too it's the radio.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Both of my BMWs have the same button. I've only played with it once so best that I remember when you start the car, traction control is on. If you press the button once, it is off but the rear limited slip differential is still active. If you hold the button in for about two seconds, everything if off and you can smoke the hell out of the rear tires if you want to do that. They are both newer than your Z3 so things may have changed.

Reply to
Dan Krueger

It's traction control. If you want wheelspin to get out of a jam, turn it off.

For example, a couple winters ago my wife could not get her VW up our driveway because it was snowy/icy. The traction control was killing the motor at the slightest hint of wheelspin. I got in and turned it off and was able to claw my way to the top easily. It needed to be able to slip a bit.

Reply to
Rex B

Randy, I too, recently bought a 1998 Z3, with no manual. If you go to the BMW site and register, you can download manuals. Unfortunately they don't back to 1998. I was able to get a 2000 Z3 manual in PDF format. It's close enough for most thing. If you do not find it there, email me directly and I'll send you a copy.

- - Rex B Fort Worth TX

Randy wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

That button controls the Traction Control system.

When ON, if you mash the gas and set about to spin the tires, and manage to succeed, the traction control will apply the brakes to the rear tire that is breaking loose. If you are coming out of a turn with the ASC on, you can mash the gas and not worry too much about the back end breaking loose and sliding out on you. If you are the sort that does not toss the car around in this manner, you will hardly notice the feater being on or off. I suggest leaving it ON all of the time.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My Z3 has 123HP The only way I'd know traction control was off is if the light were on.

Reply to
Rex B

Why not just buy a paper one from your dealer?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In a traction challenged environment -- damp pavement for example -- you should be able to experience traction control in all its glory.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'll have to take your word for it. It's only rained once since I bought this car.

Reply to
Rex B

Welcome to California. It never rains ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland