Geico Insurance Will Rip You Off !!

Page 1 of 2
My car was hit by a car that was insured by Geico Insurance and Geico says my car is totaled. They offered to give me much less than what it would cost to replaced my car and then said I could
keep the car for the highest salvage fee I have ever heard of for a totaled car. It was an obvious low ball tactic to save money. I have already talked to several body shops who estimated the salvage value of half what Geico wanted. I have no job and can not afford to buy another car, so the tactics of Geico would leave me without a car to go along with my unemployment. Then they tried to get me to use my insurance which would mean I would pay a large deductible and my insurance premium would go up when I am not at fault. Their last words were to have my lawyer contact them. As if I could afford a lawyer. in other words they low balled me on purpose knowing I would not accept their offer. They are hoping I choose to use my insurance and they will pay nothing.
In being of bellicose mind posted:

YOU have insurance. Your insurance company has lawyers. Your premiums pay for *your* lawyers to negotiate with their lawyers. So let them all do lunch and work it out! Let your guys do their job.
--
Philip

"When you're passin' popcorn husks over a hemorrhoid ...
Philip wrote:

other post. You are 100% right on.

world? On your back, that's how.
being of bellicose mind posted:

I would turn it into my insurance then let them worry about it. Look at it this way, what would you have done if the other driver didn't have insurance???? Exactly, so turn it in and then let them do the work for you. They will work it out with the other insurance comany... even if you can not.

Interesting thread about insurance company tactics and ripoffs. Doesn't it make you think Nader might just be worth a vote as your own personal protest? Insurance companies are just one 'make believe' industry who are part of Corporate America.
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:10:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Oliver B. Lafferty) wrote:

Yes, please vote for Nader!
He is 'my' choice for all you Democrats...
ROFLMAO!!!
Scott in Florida

If you think insurance companies are a rip-off why don't you and your buddies start you own insurance company. It's not that difficult.

operating under governmental licensing. Unlike you, we prefer to make an honest living. The fairest way to describe the insurance industry is to acknowledge them for what they are: A government backed extortion scheme.
extortion 1. The act or an instance of extorting. 2. Illegal use of one's official position or powers to obtain property, funds, or patronage. 3. An excessive or exorbitant charge. 4. Something extorted.

You certainly nailed this one.. Progressive is doing a nice extortion job on me -- and has been for 5 years now. My premiums never come down. They just keep creeping up because of "mandatory state-wide increases".. Mandatory?? How about stopping all the junk mail as a first.

You need to find a real shyster lawyer that works on contingency. A real scumbad will send you to a chiropractor (another shyster) to get you into a pain and injury mode (daily visits for a couple of years at $60 a pop, payed by the insurance company) and generally take the insurance company for everything he can get. The lawyer will take his fee out of what he gets for you. The more he gets for you, the more he will make for himself, so these types of scumbag lawyers are truly motivated. Look for lawyers that advertises on tv on in the paper. Also, don't talk to just one or two lawyers. Go see at least five or six. You'll know when you find the right one.
Remember, if you can't make the insurance company pay, at least make them hurt.
nb
Sorry to say:
In most states, his insurance company will foot the bill for the medical payments. Then there will be ?activity" on his policy and at renewal time.
Surpris, Surprise, either double the rate, or a non renewal letter. If he chose your path, you are now in what's called a "CONSPIRACY' if him and his SCUMBAG, SCHEISTER lawyer were to be caught in the "FELONY" of insurance fraud.
Do him a favor, keep your advice to yourself!
Refinish King

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.autos.camaro.firebird.]

Are you kidding? Hell, chiropracty is the etpitome of fraud. But, try and prove it. Ain't gonna happen. They've even held the AMA at bay.
Besides, if Geico isn't the OP's insurer, how the heck can the double his rates?
nb
message

There will be "activity" on his insurance regardless, insurance companies have access to all claims initiated by you or paid to you and use this information to stop scams against them.
Bill
In wrote:

NB: Why does the original, INSURED poster need to hire a lawyer to sue the guy who hit him who has Geico insurance? Think.
--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

Why do you think their rates are so low? Not by paying out fat settlements at the drop of a hat. Your insurance company needs to be involved, you pay premiums for their lawyers, etc...
I'm also curious - since you don't have a job, why do you need a car? Perhaps public transportation would be a more viable solution. Then you don't need to pay for insurance, gas, maintenance, etc......

Depends who you ask. When I moved back to NY, I had to dump Geico. Progressive was less than 60% of Geico's cost. *Amazing* price spread there. (I also live in one of the areas of North America with the widest spread of prices on the same insurance products... Queens, NY).

Yeah, I'm not sure how they figure out those rates. I have my auto insurance through State Farm, which normally has pretty high rates. I actually called both Progressive and Geico a few months back to see if their rates were lower. Progressive was more that twice what I pay now, and Geico was also quite a bit more. We get a pretty good discount for multiple policies, good driver, etc.., but not 50%
I've heard a lot of folks bash State Farm, but they've been very good for us so far. Competitive rates and they also have a good glass replacement policy ( $50 for an entire new windsheild, or $0 deductible for repairable cracks ). I've had 2 new windshields over the past few years in our Camry, and it never affected rates.

IIRC State Farm auto ins. is only available to people who have house & contents insurance with State Farm. Or maybe that's just for NY State. Anyway, we looked at them too and couldn't choose them for this reason. Allstate wanted to put us in the ARP (we've both been driving less than 3 years), which would have been very costly (even more than Geico). There were a couple of others - I forget the names - who also fell into the "only if you have home insurance with us" category.
The truly weird thing is that when I first got auto insurance, we lived in NY (Westchester) and Geico was head and shoulders cheapest at that time. It seems like the decision "which company is cheapest" is totally dependent on your zip code.

Must be a NY thing. I have used State Farm for 28 years for auto, the last 12 with home owners insurance also. Greg