wheel bearings (hub style) ...how often ?

Hello all, 99 Camaro V6 owner here:
The car has 43K miles on it, and I'm told it needs both front wheel bearings ($100 each!) replaced.
Anyone else experience this ? I mean, if it were 100K miles, I wouldn't be
surprised...
:(
The life span of the bearings is largely depends on where you drive.