1988 S10 PU 4.3L Wipers Off

I cannot see how to remove the wipers. Some video shows a lever to release but mine have no visible means of removal. How do I get them off so I can get the grill below the windshield off? I need access to the wiper control arms to release the wiper motor and replace it.

OldGuy

You need to use a small pick to pull the release tab that is under the pot metal casting that attaches to the wiper transmission coming out of the cowl.

clip looks like this and is hard to see from the top.

Steve W.

Finally got it all apart but what a puzzle.

The tricks: Without removing the hood although if the hood was off it would be much easier.

Unplug the wiper motor at the wiper motor. the plug came off easily thank goodness.

1) put a long 6-32 screw through both holes at the base of the rocker arm. 2) working with flashlight and upside down and in a mirror find the tab under the rocker arm. 3) pry the tab away and hold away from the stem protruding from the hood grate while rocking the wiper arm near the base. I used a bent pick. Off it comes. 4) open the hood and remove the four screws and two (one at each end) 13mm bolts (big screws). 5) lift the grate at the center and slide fingers under to pop off the washer hose. 6) wiggle the metal grate cover and rotate to remove. slight puzzle here. 7) pop off the plastic grate (breaking the holding tabs, rats!) 8) if the wipers were in the down position (one could hope) then mark the posts and note the position of the wiper moter short arm. 9) use something to block the wiper motor short arm from rotating. 10) 13mm nut at the motor shaft comes off lefty-loosy. I used a braker bar since it was easier. 12) 10mm three screws holding the wiper motor to the chassis. 13) pry the motor off the chassis. only slightly stuck.

I had to keep changing back and forth from long to short sockets to get at the screws (bolts, cause they are big)

Tips please for putting it back together! How to sync it all? Maybe run and stop and should be in wiper down position, I hope.

Shower and a nap for me then off to the parts store for a replacement with core in hand. yeah a core charge.

OldGuy

USUALLY the arm stays on the motor, and the lingage disconnects from the arm. Then "timing" the thing is no problem at all.

Reply to
clare

Being an 88 timing won't be a big deal. bolt the motor in place, plug it in. turn on the ignition switch and the wipers. turn off wipers and motor will park. Turn off key. Install the arm so the wipers are in parked position. Replace the rest of the parts and enjoy clear glass.

Reply to
Steve W.

That was my plan. Thanks for confirmation.

OldGuy

I did not want to pry to hard on the joint. I looked like it would pop off if enough pressure but did not want to chance it.

OldGuy

Not on this one. The replacment has nothing but one vib pad. I have to use the old nut, rubber main gasket bewteen motor and firewall and vib pads for two of the mounting positions.

OldGuy