how to get the #*&#^@ wipers off

1989 s10 , wiper motor has gone, and I need to get the wipers themselves off to get at the linkage. I can not , for the life of me, see how to do it. As I look at the base of the wiper (right befor they disapear under that part of the hood, that grill) I see a small tab ; I assume that's it, but do I push at it or pull at it ? (I have done both, and neither works)

While I'm at it , in case some other poor sole has to go through this, you'll note the wiper moter is held on by 3 bolts. They are not 7/16 nor are they 3/8 - they are 10 MM (when did we go metric ?) - two of them broke off , twisted off by my ratchet; WD40 did nothing , but heating the last one twice with a torch (let the whole damm truck burn) did it.

Reply to
Barrett Bonden

See the hole in the arm? It's right near the pivot. Lift the arm so you can stick a nail or other object into that hole. Release the arm and wiggle it off. Takes a little work, but that's how I did it on a

  1. >1989 s10 , wiper motor has gone, and I need to get the wipers themselves off
Reply to
Mike Levy
  1. Lift the arm away from the windshield (~6 inches).
  2. Slip a blade between the tab and the arm.
  3. Gently pry the tab away from the arm. It only moves about 1/8 inch.
  4. Release the arm. Notice it doesn't return to the windshield.
  5. Lift the arm off the pivot.

KenG

Barrett B> 1989 s10 , wiper motor has gone, and I need to get the wipers themselves off

Reply to
KENG

Forget the Tab

place a rag under the wiper arm 180 degrees from that Tap now take a Flat head Screw driver and Pry the arm off .. Never Mess with the TAB

I have a 89 s10 I just restored .. The Bolts are 10 mm

Barrett B> 1989 s10 , wiper motor has gone, and I need to get the wipers themselves off

Reply to
no one

themselves off

The S series has been metric since they started production. So are most other vehicles sold in the US.

The wiper arms are easily removed. Lift the arms up away from the glass. Take a screwdriver/knife and pull the tab you have out about 1/8" or so. Let the arm down toward the glass and you will notice they don't go down all the way. Rock them up/down a bit and they will pull off easily. Pull the cowl panel and you will find the wiper transmission arms. Oh buy the nylon bushings in the arms and install them while you have it out to save a lot of headaches later.

Reply to
Steve W.

They have been using metric and standard on the S-10 since they had been in production along with everyother american vehicle I have even seen hybrid fasteners where you have a standard thread but the head of the bolt is metric ,someone please explain why they did that ,just imagine some poor guy he's going to be doing a 100 point restoration on a S-10 some day in the future and he willl be going to swap meets to get one bolt and spend 50 bucks for it too :-)

Reply to
badaztek

I just completed a Restore on an 89 s-10.. took me 2 months

Reply to
no one