2006 GMC SIERRA 1500 REAR END

Changed out my ring and pinion today in my truck. went from a 3.23 to a

3.73. Everything went smoothly. but i noticed there is a howl or a wine when you are cruising about 40-50mph with your foot barely on the gas, doesnt do it when you let off, doesnt do it as bad when you give it more gas. wondering if this is a normal break in noise or what? there is no play in pinon gear and teeth line up just like the ones that came out of it, put same shim as old one.

thanks

Reply to
Steven

I think it's more indicative of the particular area and position of contact where the ring and pinion are touching. My '04 Avalance Z71 with 4.10's has a gear whine or howl at 40-60 mph. More noticeable at certain speeds. Did this from new. Two other similar GM trucks a with 4.10's....no noise. Assuming you had the gears set up properly re: heel/toe position and the lubricant is fine it's just a noise.

Augustus

Pinion depth is critical. Putting the same shim in as before doesn't always work. Look at the pinion you took out. there should be a number hand painted on it, zero, or a plus one or two, or a minus one or two. The new gear only takes the same shim (as a starting point) if it has the same number painted on IT. And again, even if the numbers match, the shimming is only a starting point. You need special setup tools to check pinion depth.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Reply to
Steven

Reply to
Augustus

Did you buy (and use) a complete master installation kit when you bought the new gears? The "no play in pinion gear" statement suggests that there is no backlash between the ring gear and the pinion.

Please describe -exactly- what parts were replaced the procedures and tools used during set up.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

no didnt buy the whole kit, didnt need it, bought a new richmond ring and pinion, bought both pinon bearing and race, well procedures took everything out, put everything back exactly the way it was, used gear marking compound, produced a heel a toe clearence just like my old one (and yes i know what it is suppose to look like.) tighten crush sleeve until no play back and forth. i dont have the fancy tools to setup it up with,

Reply to
Steven