stupid cassette player in 02 gmc sierra

I am installing new after market stereo equipment in my 02 GMC Sierra. I have the bucket seat option which gives my that little console that has a tape deck and CD storage holder option. I want to take the tape deck out but I cant find anything to put in its place like a dummy plate or even a storage bin. Any ideas where I could go to find such a device? Thanks for any response!!!! Oh and does anyone want a tape deck. Could not tell you if it works or not. Never been used since the day I owned it brand new.

Reply to
Bob Loblaw

I know the dilemma you have, unfortunately there is absolutely no aftermarket cover plate that will cover the hole. If you are good with fiberglass and/or body filler you can fill it in. I have also made a plate with ABS plastic and used color match paint to color it to the dash.

Out of curiosity, when you replaced the OE stereo, did you use the GM-RC01 harness for it? If not and you used the GWH-22 which requires you to leave the OE unit in and plugged in, you are opening yourself up for a butt load of potential problems down the road.

Reply to
azwiley1

I will be using what ever crutchfield is sending me for my truck. What kind of problems are you talking about. I will hopefully be doing the installation on Wed and any heads up you can give me will be much appreciated.

Reply to
Bob Loblaw

Ok, long and short of it is this. With your vehicle when you take out the OE radio you loose some function/features of the vehicle. It maybe be as simple as door chimes, or as complex as On-star, etc. A few years ago there was a harness out, the GWH-22 which is about 15 foot long and 1 inch in diameter and runs from the dash to the rear of the vehicle and as a "jumper" between the new deck, the OE deck and the vehicle.

I have seen this set up go from "nothing working" to the OE deck shorting out, in turn shorting out the new deck and other things in the vehicle.

Check out the thread 02 Suburban GPS/Navi System. Troy was (is) pretty much in the same situation as you and I covered just about ever thing he (you) need to know in there. From what harnesses you need, to what kit, to the antenna adaptor. If you still have questions after reading that thread, please drop me a line and I'll give you any other info you need.

Reply to
azwiley1