96 GMC Vortec Problem ?? Need Help

I have a problem with my 96 GMC. Thought I would check to see if any of you guys had any answers. I was driving my truck last night and all of the sudden it started acting as if it was starving for gas. I had just turned into a neighborhood and my rpms were low. I stepped on the gas and the truck started cutting out like it was running out of gas. I had just filled up the tank the night before and was still over 3/4 tank. I pulled over and open the hood. Looked around but didnt see anything out of the ordinary. After playing with the throttle for a couple minutes the problem seemed to go away. I drove about 4 more miles and pulled into another neighborhood, and the problem came back. I went into my parents house for about 30 minutes and let the truck sit. When I went to leave the truck started fine, went one block and the problem happened again. At this point I was thinking there was a major fuel problem and that it wasnt going to fix itself. The car would idle but when you press the gas it would bog out and sputter. If I pressed the pedal all the way down it would die. I turned around and was going to leave it at my parents house. As soon as I got back around the block it cleared up, Since my wife was following me I decided to drive it home. I drove it home 20 miles without any more trouble. I have not started the truck today.

My thinking is the Fuel pump is either good or bad right ? When they go out they dont slowly go in and out right ? I was going to check the fuel filter since it is easy to remove. What else do I need to check ? Could it be something in the Fuel injection ? Is there a low speed idle sensor ? If the pump is bad do I drop the tank or remove the bed ? Any suggestions on where to start looking ?

Reply to
Mattnjo

My wife had a '94 blazer vortec with a simalar problem. It was caused by a clogged egr valve. Took it to a shop they cleaned it out and siad next time got it up to temp and run it on the expressway "fast to clean the carbon out". Try that it worked for us Mel

Reply to
Mel II

I would replace the fuel filter for sure. Does that 96 have a distributor? If so, check the coil wire ends for corrosion and for being burned.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

I had the same problem with my 96 gmc mini van. It seemed that one of the spark plug wires had stripped and the spark started jumping onto the manifold and nearby spark plug wires. when i read my OBD II code, it came back as a misfire. has your truck generated a code?

Reply to
Gilcontr

I had simular probs with my Tahoe-96 I got stranded 2 times with it and pulled the fueltank down. It was the wiring to the fuelpump inside tank that had got bad bacause bad connection/moisture in connection at top of the tank.

Reply to
V70TDI

If it idles rough I would look for EGR valve problem. If it idles relatively smooth I would look for fuel pump going bad.

The way you say stepping on the gas kind of choked it, leads me to think its the Fuel pump. If you never put on an EGR, you can replace it yourself without feeling a loss if it turns out not to be the EGR though.

my 95 blazer eats fuel pumps, and I think this is my 3rd EGR. Vortec engines seem to be hard on EGRs.

My recommendation is if you plan to keep this truck, get either job/part done with a lifetime warranty...

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

On 24 Dec 2005 10:15:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said while waiving his hands wildly:

I see this is an old post, but if you have not fixed your problem, I may have an answer for you. Check your fuel pressure. Get or borrow or whatever, a fuel injection pressure tester. (about $40 at autozone) You will need to see at least

60psi at the fuel rail, key on, engine off. Your statement about fuel pumps being either good or bad doeesnt seem to hold up anymore. I had 56psi on mine (96 Yukon, Vortec SFI 5.7l) and had the same symptoms you describe. Spec is 60 to 66psi, and it needs every bit of it.

Good luck, and I hope this isnt so late that it does you no good.

Best,

[...]

Phillip