Dual Exhaust on 96 Suburban

I was changing the universal joints the other day on the suburban and noticed that basically it has dual exhaust all the way to the muffler that then combines both sides out one pipe. Obviously it would be easy to add true dual exhaust but would I have to reprogram anything to allow for the increased exhaust flow? I know on the older carb type cars we had to increase the jet sizes to allow more flow. It has the standard 5.7 litres V8 Vortec that has recently been rebuilt and is running great but if I could get more horsepower and drop the gas guzzling a bit it would be great. Any thoughts?

Reply to
James Carter

illegal to alter in most states. check first. old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Reply to
James Carter

Not likely you would see either one change unless you replaced the entire exhaust system. As for reprogramming. Nope, nothing to be done if your just splitting the system. However I hate to say it but the 5.7 engine and fuel economy do not even belong in the same room. To paraphrase a line from a movie, It has been and always will be a gas hog... No legal problems with a cat back system unless it is to LOUD....

Reply to
Steve W.

great.

It will reduce low speed torqe and throttle responce and reduce town MPG as well. This is not a old carbed non smog engine.

Reply to
SnoMan

A single 3 inch exhaust system will outflow dual 2 1/2 inch exhaust.

Reply to
Shades

I did exactly that on my 1996 C1500 thinking it would help milage. I put on two flowmasters and chrome 3" tubes out the back. It sounds very nice, but I can't say that it affected performance at all.

It also did not make any difference on gas milage at all either. Actually, it went down for a while because my son liked to crank the engine and make it growl. Once the new wore off, the milage got right back to a rock steady 15mpg....(all highway ;-))

Reply to
masq57