Universal Joints 97 S10

hey ya all. I'm thinking about replaceing the Universal joints on my S-10 pick up, 2 wheel drive, it has 5 of them. Two at the yoke on the axle, two near the carrier bearing, and one near the tail shaft on the transmission. Is there any special way that I should go about doing this? My mechanic call's them CV joints, from what I can see, they are typical universal joints. There is a spacer between the joints that are doubled up. Thanks, any input would be fine.

Reply to
Mr. Know It All

If they are the orginal u-joints I'd highly recommend having it done at a drive-train shop. Personally, I took my drive-train out and took it into the shop so they could replace the joints. It was a few years ago but it cost about $40... about the same price as 4 u-joints (From what I recall there are only 4, two drive-shafts). Otherwise, you will need to heat up the u-joints and then pound them out. Not an easy task and a torch is needed.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

Ok, well I have 5 joints all together, I'm taking to to a friends this weekend, he has a hydraulic press he uses to change his with, hopefully its not such a pain because Its all the way over in Saginaw. My Silverado has original joints also. But I see no sign of them needed to be replaced. Truck just gets used to haul 4 wheelers up north and out of state travel.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove