FS: 87' Chevy Astro Van, CHEAP!

Hi guys,

My neighbor just gave me his old 87' Astro Van (yes, just gave it to me, great neighbor eh?) for parts or to sell. While the 700R4 would go nicely in my El Camino I'd rather sell the thing outright so someone can get some use out of it.

1987, Chevy Astro, 2WD. 4.3L TBI, TH700R4 transmission. 330,000 Mobil 1 miles (230K on rebuilt Jasper engine, original tranny). Starts, runs and drives great, as it's been very well maintained. Doesn't burn oil, coolant or anything else other than gas, he he he. The body shows it's age, paint is decent but clearcoat is long gone. All of the sheetmetal is straight and dent-free. Typical rusted-out rocker panels, but other than that very little rust. Interior is decent, upholstery is clean and no rips or tears that I can see. Great rubber (Uniroyals) with 95% of tread remaining. Clean Title.

What it needs: brake lines all the way around. The current lines are intact but likely to disentegrate anytime now as they're pretty bad. There is a gas leak somewhere high up in the fuel circuit, my guess is the fuel tank sending unit lines are rusted out, but it could be somewhere else. There is a decent oil leak, either front seal or oil pan, haven't really looked.

If anyone is interested and has SPECIFIC questions, I'll run out to the garage and get the answers for ya. Pics available on request. If you're really interested I might be persuaded into fixing the problems for a couple bucks before you pick it up.

$500 as-is OBO. Located in East Central Ohio (Akron area). Post here to the ng or e-mail me directly gmc(underscore)man(at)adelphia(dot)net If I don't sell it here I'm putting it on E-Bay, thought I'd ask here first.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:23:20 -0400, "\"Doc\"" wrote something wonderfully witty:

I got to ask, You going to give the neighbor a taste of that $500?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Doc-

if you should part it out, I want dibs on the 4.3

Reply to
burntkat

Of course. He told me if I sold it to just keep the money, but $250 would mystically appear in his mailbox one day..................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

You got it. It has 230K on the motor, but it runs very well and doesn't burn any oil or coolant. If it wasn't a van I'd run out there and do a compression test for ya, he he he he.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

snip

Illiterate.................................................................. ...................^^

Reply to
Battleax

Well, I think it'd be worth $250 at the very least- so bear that in mind.. ;)

Reply to
burntkat

... and log on to IM sometime tonight, goof!

Reply to
burntkat

If you did a compression test on that one:

I want to start a bet pool, even though I'm not a gambling man.

I say $10.00 and twenty chunks down below the skin (That bleed like razor blade cuts) Anyone interested in the bet. If Doc Actually gets talked into doing a compression test that is?

plus, he's a mechanic. he can fix the pool and a few horse races for us too.

LOL

Refinish King

PS No wonder why everyone thinks us Italians are crooks, we can joke about ourselves. then hit the ones that aren't Italian that joke about us!

Reply to
Refinish King

- and of course no sooner do you IM me tonight, than I'm gone to Lowes doing the homeowner thing.

BTW- not sure if I told ya or not- but I bought that house last month. 8)

While I already have a 700R4 to put behind that 4.3, the one I have could use a rebuild. Let's talk about the one you have... you've got my email, right? Think you could get both it and the engine on a pallet and over to Forward Air burn any oil or coolant. If it wasn't a van I'd run out there and do a

Reply to
burntkat

inline-

what in the world does this mean??

Maybe- explain it to me?

funny, I thought he was a shrink? 8)

I thought that was just ornery? ;)

Reply to
burntkat

Try doing anything on an Astro/Safari:

From inside, with the doghouse off. you'll have hamburger hands and arms!

Refinish King

PS The mechanic thing, is just an inside Italian joke. If you're not Italian. you get "Hit" for using it anyway! LOL

Reply to
Refinish King

Gotcha. Thought it was going something like that, but couldn't tell for certain.

message

Reply to
burntkat

Nice come-back King, all is retracted, all is forgiven :) B

Reply to
Battleax

Thank you:

You're a true gentleman!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Hi!

Good luck with that Doc. Hope the van finds a good home, but I'm kinda surprised you didn't just give it one. (But maybe you have too many vehicular projects already?)

BTW (there will be a separate post later) the old Sierra decided it could MOVE forward the other day after I finally found a set of keys for it. I just started it, shifted into gear for the sheer hell of it and with a little pop it broke free and has been "fine" since. I doubt the fix was that simple as while it runs there is a much softer version of the same bad noise it made when unable to move forward. This only seems to happen under firm to hard acceleration, but I find it worrisome anyway.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:25:27 -0400, "Refinish King" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Me too, told me to zip up and leave. Something about making laugh to hard.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

And make more money then *all* the college grads (some with as many as 3 degrees) whom you know?

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

No Kidding, where you been hiding? Or are you actually going IN to work instead of working in your undies? LoL

Sam

Reply to
GaWd

Man, work from home twice in my skivvies and sign on to ICQ and I'm branded for life......................at least I wasn't hammered, he he he. In all seriousness, work has been hella busy lately and I'm usually too tired when I get home to even take a shit, much less spend time online :-(

Doc