Help with 98 Chevy Truck

I have a 98 V8 454 Chevy truck and the check engine light is on. I got a

code reader. It shows a code PO171, system too lean , bank 1. > Does anyone I any ideas what it could be? > > Thank you for your help, > Robin
Reply to
Robin & Sharon

Let the guessing begin.... It could be alot of things.

If it hasn't had a fuel filter lately I would start there.

I also would change the FRONT O2 sensor if the truck has more than about 60k miles. O2s do wear out.

Of coarse those two things might not fix it either, but they sure won't hurt :) Esp the fuel filter, they get over-looked a lot.

Does it run good? Do you have access to a scan tool?

Reply to
ScottM

It runs pretty good, maybe missing a little. Thanks for your help, Robin

Reply to
Robin & Sharon

It ended up meaning a new Mass Airflow Sensor in my 1999. I don't know what else the mechanics check for the cause of P0171.

Reply to
William Andersen

What kind of air filter are/were you using?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

...maybe FRAM. I bought it at Wal-Mart, in an orange box.

Reply to
William Andersen

I think he was thinking you had a K&N filter and the oil from that got all over your Mass Airflow Sensor and caused it to fail. If your using a Regular Paper Filter then that wasn't the reason.

Reply to
JBDragon

Reply to
Robin & Sharon

Too bad dealers don't clean things instead of replace them. (We're not all mechanically inclined.)

Reply to
William Andersen

Did you replace that fuel filter yet? hmmm, did ya?

Reply to
ScottM

Reply to
Robin & Sharon