Help diagnosing '98 chevy truck transmission problem

I have a '98 chevy K1500 with 107k miles. This morning the tranny would not do anything when put into reverse. When it is put into Drive, it takes a long time to shift from 1 to 2 to 3 and it never gets to 4(OD). I can also hear a whining sound coming from it at low speeds with the door open. I never pull a load with this truck and I do not know if the tranny fluid and filter has ever been changed since I bought it recently as a used vehicle. But the fluid is fresh looking and at the proper level.

My only thought is maybe the fluid intake screen is plugged? I would rather not change fluid and filter unless that may be a cause of the problem.

I would like to get anyones thoughts on this problem and possible solutions. Thank you for any advice.

Reply to
Don S.

Well, now this morning I got a Check Engine Light, it is for code P0751 which is for Shift Solenoid A Stuck Closed. Now I wonder if this is the cause, or a symptom of some other problem.

Reply to
Don S.

Sounds like a solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced, and possibly have the transmission rebuilt while they're at it?

Reply to
mZ