My Cheby Truck

Hi group! I dont know anything about mechanical type stuff. I want to take my Chevy truck apart piece by piece then put it back together again. Any advise?

Reply to
Shoe_Saleman

"Shoe_Saleman" sez:

You must have this group confused with alt.trucks.tonka ...

VLJ

Reply to
vlj

. . My Cheby Truck Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Wed, Oct 22, 2003, 7:56am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@no.nope.com (Shoe_Saleman) Hi group! I dont know anything about mechanical type stuff. I want to take my Chevy truck apart piece by piece then put it back together again. Any advise? ===== ===== lol

sense of humor....i like that...

nubbs

Reply to
Nubbs McFarkle

a man with a vision, blinded by the obvious.....

Reply to
Eightupman

If it aint broke dont fix it

Reply to
LARRY929

Hi Shoeman! (Why do I think I know you from another thread??? :-) )

I would hope someone gives an honest answer (NOT you Scribby!) because I think I'll have to do so to restore my beloved old GMC Sierra. I think the best thing to do would be to work on it a compartment at a time.

I don't think it'll be easy, but if it gets too tough, I think I might be able to carry the mess to somebody who can make it look like a truck once again.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Reply to
Scott

My neighbor does what he calls "frame off" restorations of 70s - 80s chev/gmg pickups. The truck is completly stripped down to the frame and completly rebuilt. They are as close to "new" when done. Frame sand blasted and coated, new brake lines, rotors, calipers, fuel lines, tank, rebuilt or new engines, every suspension bushing, new seats. All body panels are expertly welded or replaced. He sells these trucks for 10k - 12k (canadian) and they look beautiful. B

Reply to
Battleax

Hi Shoeman! (Why do I think I know you from another thread??? :-) )

--------------- Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Thu, Oct 23, 2003, 4:15am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@no.com (Scott)

I have no idea what your talking about!

:)

-----------------

~ ~ =D8=D8 =BF 0

me either

nubbs ~:~

--------------------

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Hi!

It would be nice if I could do that for my poor old worn out Sierra. That poor truck has worked a lot of hard days and it has been abused too. It needs/wants/deserves/really should have a full restoration...or maybe just some nice new paint and a good cab and bed.

Hard part is finding a body man I trust/can afford/watch. There don't seem to be too many in this area. I might have one lined up. Failing that, I might just make copious notes and diagrams while I take the truck apart. Unless I do something stupid like take the engine or tranny apart, I see no reason why with care and notes I could not put together what I took apart. I worry most about things being rusted beyond all hope of "polite" or correct removal.

Anyone care to comment? Tell me that I can, give pointers/tips/advice/things NOT to do, or just to tell me that I am out of my head and shouldn't do this at all??

Does a person need a good indoor place to work or would just having somewhere to store body pieces and hardware suffice...say, could the truck sit outside while I'm doing this?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh