Hacking GM's OnStar system - Lets get creative with the "Units"

I'll bet I'm not the first kid on the block that would like to hack some of the features of the Onstar system that is on my vehicle.

Here is what I would like to do: be able to unlock doors of the vehicle myself just by calling the on board cell phone.

Be able to access diagnostic codes without calling Onstar.

Be able to connect a palm pilot or pocket PC to the system to access the gps and vehicle sensors. Maybe some of the other goodies I don't know about.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? An inquiring mind would like to know.

TIA for answering here.

Reply to
C Osbourne

Have you tried suggesting to Onstar some of these things you like to see in their system?

Reply to
Oldbie

Ha, That's a good one. They are so regimented that they will barely own up to their own system's errors.

It took almost a week for them to admit that their "name tag" storage system has errors, and I had to re-program all my entries because the numbers become scrambled. They don't know why this happens, but one of their technicians admitted that it's a common problem. Their solution was to "download" 20 units to me to compensate me for my time and inconvenience, and I had to ask for that, or I would've gotten nothing.

but to get back to my original question:

I'll bet I'm not the first kid on the block that would like to hack some of the features of the Onstar system that is on my vehicle.

Here is what I would like to do: be able to unlock doors of the vehicle myself just by calling the on board cell phone.

Be able to access diagnostic codes without calling Onstar.

Be able to connect a palm pilot or pocket PC to the system to access the gps and vehicle sensors. Maybe some of the other goodies I don't know about.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? An inquiring mind would like to know.

TIA for answering here.

their system?

Reply to
C Osbourne

Why don't you try starting an onstar hack group and see where it goes from there?

-- this area for rent or lease

Reply to
Juan Hung Lo

Good idea, Juan, How do you do that?

Reply to
C Osbourne

This is easily done using a ODBII reader. You can do a search for such a unit on the web.

I have seen full solutions for modifying the unit to extract the NMEA data out of the onstar system. I don't have the URL handy but a google search should turn it up pretty easily.

Dale

Reply to
Dale DePriest

First, you have to do lots of reading and searching (kinda like finding answers to hacking sat. tv). If you truly want to do it you certainly can so don't get discouraged. Most of all... have fun!

guide for creating an alt.newsgroup

more useful information:

ftp://ftp.uu.net/networking/news/config/ (select newsgroups.z)

for information on starting a moderated newsgroup read the following documents.

ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/alt.config

for more information on starting a big eight newsgroup read the following documents.

for information on starting a moderated newsgroup read the following documents.

-- this area for rent or lease

Reply to
Juan Hung Lo

You can use the search feature to look up websites that show you how to tap into Onstar. I have Onstar in my vehicle but never use the service. I have a GPS to track my progress, and a Ham radio to get help. I would not tap into Onstars service as it was created to help people and may hurt the resale value of my vehicle. Pay for the service if you want it.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mundy

If you start a new group, please announce it here.

This could be interesting!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .