Sorry, no chevy but anyway

I originally posted this in alt.autos.dodge but since I value the opinion of this group....

Hi group,

1992 Dodge caravan, 2.5 automatic, 335.000km

Recently the cat started rattling. It seems it's loose in the casing. Dealer want big????? to replace it.

My idea: since my car is running on propane and since propane is a relatively clean fuel, how abouth just removing the cat from it's casing and driving without one. Will it harm anything? Will I risk failing smogtest?

Thanx for all the input

Timo

Reply to
Timo Wildschut

Check here:

experience there with those Euro conversions)

Reply to
René

You should be able to get a Aftermarket Cat Installed. Usually it's quite a bit less then getting a OE cat to put on. On my 1977 Chevy C10 I used to have. It had one of them pellet Cats on it. It also had a screw on the bottom of it which I removed and Started the truck up and blew all the pellets out. So basically a Empty converter. It always passed the smog test no problem. If you can cut it out, knock the crap out from Inside and weld it back up. You should be fine. People do it all the time. Getting a Muffler Shop to do for you may be a problem. I hear in California it's now a 10,000 fine. Last I had heard is was a 2,500 fine. If you do happen to fail the smog test, it's not a HUGE deal you'll just have to get a new converter installed and retest. They do happen to brake up and blow out on there own into the muffler if they get bad enough.

Reply to
JBDragon

Reply to
Timo Wildschut