Idles, but no power

Any thoughts or ideas on this one. Sierra 1.6 OHC engine. Ticks over and revs perfectly, but any attempt to move car and revs die. Just no power. Its probably a coincidence but started doing this the day after it MOT. This car has never let me down before. I've cleaned up all the plugs and set the gaps, but get the feeling this is a fuel problem and not ignition. Doesn't misfire, just looses power.

Bucket

Reply to
Bucket

The message from "Bucket" contains these words:

Does it have the truly vile VV carburettor? If you think it's a fuel problem it'd help us no end if we knew what fuel system it has!

Reply to
Guy King

Had exactly those symptoms on a Renault 21. Set of new plug leads cured it. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

during the MOT maybe they adjusted the CO mixture and now its too lean?

Reply to
ford_technical_

Just had a look in book as had no idea what make carb it was and its the Weber.

Reply to
Bucket

It did drive ok for about 20 miles after MOT before fault showed. HT leads are nearly new and there is a good spark on all plugs too.

As I say it doesn't misfire at all and runs perfectly smoothly at tick over and any revs, not lumpy at all. Just no power to move it.

Thanks for suggestions so far.

Reply to
Bucket

Diesel in it? check cam and ign timing. air pipe fallen off, blocked exhaust. rag in air inlet. blocked fuel filter leading to low fuel level in carb

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "Bucket" contains these words:

Check the diaphragm.

Reply to
Guy King

I've been told that faulty HT leads can be diagnosed quite well in the dark.

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

Took me ages to find out what was wrong with the wife's car one day. It was only as it was getting dark that I saw the blue glow all over the ignition system that the penny dropped.

Reply to
Guy King