value of S-10 with blown head gasket ?

A friend owes me money. She wants to give me her 1997 S-10 pickup that has a blown head gasket in partial repayment. The truck is in average condition with about 140,000 miles.

What's a fair value for the truck?

She ran it after the water-pump died and blew the head gasket).

My advice: "lend money to a friend; lose the money AND lose the friend."

Reply to
sue sanchez

what engine ?

automatic or manual ?

2WD or 4WD ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

You might try the Kelly Blue Book on line. List its condition as poor and see what they say. As a previous poster said, you will need to know if it is 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive, transmission and so on. I know I wouldn't give more than a couple hundred bucks. What makes you think the head isn't warped and needs to be straighten and machined, that alone can run you hundreds of dollars. At 140 K it sounds like a parts truck to me. Rick

Reply to
Rhbuxton

If anything at all, that truck is worth more in parts than is whole (well ANY vehicle is like that) If you had the time, and a gear head friend, and the body (doors, fenders, hood), bed, transmission, interior, glass and axle are all in decent shape, you could conceivably make $500 to $1000 depending on the market for parts in your area. My brother in law buys bulk auto body parts at state auctions and goes to the local body shops (and uses e-bay) to make the money back ten fold. If it is a 4WD you'll be able to get considerably more especially in upstate NY. I know people are falling over each other for small 4WD trucks up there.....

My advice "the parts are worth more than the whole"

JMHO

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

Or write off the money and keep the friend

Reply to
Battleax

It has the little four engine, 2 wheel drive, auto.

It probably would be more valuable to part out but I don't have the time or interest for that.

My trusted mechanic says there's a 50-50 chance that the head is cracked.

Ther are lots of cheap re-builders around here (southern California; one ad says say "se habla ingeles")

I can get a re-buolt engine installed, with a warranty, for about $1500. Maybe a bit more if the head is cracked.

Reply to
sue sanchez

my opinion is that it's not worth it

the 2.2 automatic combo is pretty much useless doe anything other than getting from A to B

Reply to
TranSurgeon

First, you must decide if you are running a pawn shop or a junk yard. You are obviously not in the banking business.

Most friends who borrow a serious amount of money have lousy credit, so no lending institution will give them money.

A well-maintained, full-size Chevy truck might gracefully absorb 140,000 miles, but an poorly-maintained S-10 with the same mileage would probably be completely worn out.

This S-10 could turn out to be a huge problem for you. See if you can get cash instead.

Reply to
One-Shot Scot

Would make a great candidate for a 350 swap then...

Reply to
Eightupman

ditto

Reply to