Astra Head Gasket Blown?

I have a 1994 1.6GLSi Astra (8 valve), no compression on cylinders 1 & 2,

110psi on 3, 150psi on 4

this is with all the plugs removed

is this a symptom of the head gasket blown between 1 & 3?

all valves look to be moving with the cam

Jerry

Reply to
Jeremy Goff

A head gasket can't blow between 1 and 3. And when it blows between let's say 1 and 2, those cylinders would register reduced compression, not zero. If the camshaft snapped in the middle it would be 3 and 4 with no compression, not 1 and 2.

I would suggest another compression test.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

But you're probably going to end up taking the head off anyway. Did it just stop dead or was there some warning?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You mean 1 and 2? Yes. Either that or the valves aren't closing properly. Doing a head on an 8v is really very easy, and it'll allow you to change that worn out cam at the same time :-)

Reply to
adder1969

Of course, I meant 1 & 2. Camshaft is in one piece and turns. It was running sweet as a nut then ticking over at traffic lights just started to run very rough.

Jerry

Reply to
Jeremy Goff

Well if rechecking the compression still gives you that then hopefully it's just the headgasket. Take it off and have a look.

Reply to
Duncan Wood