94 grand voyager stuck in drive

Hi, I just bought a 94 grand voyager, got it for a song but it has a couple of small problems...

3.8 litre 4spd auto Gear selector is stuck in drive and van will not start unless I defeat the neutral safety switch. Cable is fine, it seems as though the manual valve in the valve body may be stuck in its bore. I disconnected the shifter cable and lever still would not move in trans housing. Is there a safety switch such as a brake pedal switch which may have malfunctioned and will not allow manual valve to move?

This ever happen to anyone else? Any help would be appreciated. Justin

Reply to
Me

FWIW - This transmission is/was designed to lock in 2nd gear if there was a problem (mechanical and/or software) so that you could limp into to you favorite give me money store.

Could you have the computer diagnostics read?

Ed O

Reply to
EdO

Here is something to consider - I'm certainly no expert by any means, so if it's not the way it works, then disregard totally.

Is it possible that in fact it is going into safe mode, but that there is a hard rpm limit to protect the engine, so the shift points (up and down) are way up there in an attempt to protect the tranny, but the engine protect over-riding that when the rpms get up there? What made me think of this is that I know that the LH cars with their AutoStick will not stay in the gear you force it to if the engine revs get above a certain point (more in the 6300-6600 rpm range, but, hey, it is a different vehicle altogether and of a different manufacturing time frame, so maybe...) - not sure what they do in limp mode (say, if a speed sensor fails) if the rpms are high - I never tested that when my speed sensors have failed - but I do know from my own experience that the operation of the speed sensors can go intermittent when they do fail (i.e., drop in and out with different speeds, temperatures, etc.). Which leads to my next paragraph...

**OR** if whatever might be causing it to go into limp mode is marginal, and consistently starts working at higher engine or tranny speeds so it shifts at high rpms, then goes back into limp mode when the rpm drops back down (with some obvious hysteresis).

Anyway, like I said - consider and then disregard if I'm in left field.

Sorry - I don't know where the relays are.

Bill Putney

Thanks for the reply, Bill. I have actually thought about this. But from The information I have, (an actual transmission/transaxle text book from trade shool)it says that in limp in mode (and I quote) "...automatically shifts the transaxle to second gear and will not allow an upshift REGARDLESS of gear range selected.....when the ignition is turned off and then on again, the EATX module resets itself and operates normally. If the module senses the problem again, it will once more default to the limp-in mode. This process will continue to repeat itself untill the problem has been corrected"....

All that being said; the trans does upshift, albeit at a higher rpm...it just dawned on me to check the turbine speed sensor circuit.... Anyway, I doubt it is going into default mode, for two reasons:1) it doeas actually upshift 2) it doesnt reset itself after a "key-flick"

Reply to
Me

Did you try pulling the battery cable and leaving the van for ~5-10 minutes to clear the memory?

As for another reply about the van being in limp mode. To the best of my knowledge, it will not shift at all. All of the electronic solenoids are inactive and thus it won't shift at all, except park, reverse, neutral and

2nd.
Reply to
Bill 2

Limp mode it does not do any shifting between forward gears at all. Park, reverse, neutral, and 2nd, that's it. It would be the job of the rev-limiter to protect the engine.

It's funny that your Autostick would do that. In my Chrysler Neon with a 3 speed hydraulic, if I put it in 1st, it will stay in first, all the way up to the rev limiter. It will be screaming along in first at 80km/h (50 MPH) where it would normally shift at 70 (40MPH) under full open throttle.

However to protect the engine, it will not engage first, even if you put the selector in first, at speeds over 70.

Possibly, but to the best of my knowledge you have to restart the vehicle for it to try to get out of limp mode. However there could be a component on the way out that hasn't trigged limp-mode, but might be screwing things up.

Reply to
Bill 2

You really need to have someone pull the TCM trouble codes so you know what's going on, rather than just guessing.

Reply to
SN