Dodge Dakota Axle Ratios

I plan to replace the rear end of my 1998 Dakota (4WD auto 2.94:1 rear axle) with one from a 1990 model (3.21:1 axle ratio ). According to the service manual 1988 Dakotas shipped with either a 2.94(standard equipment)or 3.5(heavy -duty )rear end. Will this 1990 rear end be an acceptable replacement for an '88?

Thanks in Advance

Tom

Reply to
Tom Power

Not unless you change *both* axles... think about it...

the ratio ought to be fine, it's in between the two that the factory offered for your vehicle. you might or might not notice a slight decrease in fuel economy and you probably will need your speedo recalibrated.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If your replace your rear diff with one with a 3.21 ratio, you need to also replace the front with a 3.21 if you ever plan to use 4wd again.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid