Dodge Dakota overheating

x-no-archive:yes

My brother has I think a 2002 Dodge Dakota with a 6 cyl engine. He says it started running hot then the check engine light came on. He said there are no leaks. I am assuming it is the thermostat. Where is the thermostat on this engine and is it hard to get to and change? What should I look out for? Could this just be the temperature guage sending unit?

Any advice is appreciated!

Reply to
stryped

You might check for proper clutch fan operation too. (is it running agressively when engine is hot?) Also if it is the thermostat, it will tend to over heat quickly, if it is a slow process, it is likely not the Tstat.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Before, I had a 99 Ram 1500 with that same V6. I usually check the fluid levels and the truck never had any leaks. In 2002 the temp gauge would go max for a moment then back to normal temp. every once in a while. I thought it was the thermostat and changed it. Spent an hour changing it as it was not easy to get to. It is on top down a piece that looks like a pipe. After I changed it the temp gauge would still do the same thing.

I just thought to check the fluid level in the radiator and it was very low. Ended up putting about 3 gallons in it.

Never know until you check the obvious.

GB

Reply to
GeekBoy

It may be the water pump. Dodge uses a sheet metal impellar that will carode into a ninja star and not move the fluid.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Three gallons low? Where was it going to? Man, that engine must have had serious problems.

Reply to
Advocate

Especailly since it should only hold about 4 gallons give or take.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Do not assume it's the thermostat. In the hundreds of thousand of miles I'v put on a variety of vehicles, I've never had a thermostat go bad. I've heard of it, but never experianced it. So it's not all that common. OTOH, bad water pump, blown head gasket, collapsing lower hose - those I'v experianced over the years.

Reply to
.boB

No..I realized later that I had not checked the water in a LONG time since I observed no leaks from the engine at all.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Do not be so bold, I have seen many thermostats stuck closed in my life (some stuck out too) and had a few happen to me too. Not sure it is the problem here though. On a side note if you car starts overheat and you need to nurse it home, roll down windows, turn off AC (if it is on) and turn heater on full blast as it usually will had enough cooling to nurse you ride to safety if driven conservativly.

SnoMan