Starter ground wire?

2001 Chrysler Town & Country Minivan, have recently begun to have trouble with my van starting. When I turn the key to start the van I get a single click. Seems like I am getting full power as all of the lights are bright and the radio works. Eventually, after about turning the key about 10 times it will try to start and fail. Then I go through the same thing turning the key again about 10 more times and finally it will start. I am wondering if this could be the ground wire for the starter. It just seems like the starter is not getting enough voltage to engage. Would like to try something before buying a new starter. Any ideas?
Reply to
Chubjack

Welcome to the world of Nippondenso starters.

It's the solenoid contacts, I'll bet large...a common ND failure mode for over 30 years.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Yup, that has a probability factor of about 95%.

If you (the O.P.) are mechanically inclined, you could fix this yourself for less than $10. I did mine on a '94 eagle 3.3L. About an hour an half total time (removal, repair, and install,) and less than $5 in parts from the local "Auto Electric" rebuild shop...

Reply to
FeMaster

Starter solenoid contacts. Classic failure mode on the Nippondenso gear-reduction starter.

Reply to
Steve

Very typical failure on Nippondenso solenoid contacts. Check out this web site for replacements if you can't find a local rebuilder that will sell them to you. Very easy to replace them. Make sure you clean up the plunger contact ring with a stiff wire brush and electrical contact cleaner. The site provides clear pictures and lists which parts you will need. Note these are the same starters used in Nissan vehicles.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Nice site... Very pricy compared to what I paid at the local rebuilders, however. Contacts cost me $1.30-something for both, and a new plunger ran $3-something. Total cost was $5.03 including 6% tax...

Definitely look locally first...

Reply to
FeMaster

My closest "local" alternator/starter rebuilder was 40 miles away and the prices for the contacts were higher than what this guy wanted at the web site. Yes, do check locally first, but not every rebuilder encourages the sale of parts. Sounds like you found a nice guy.

I own 3 Chryslers and a Mitsubishi, all of which use the Nippondenso starter. Family members also have the same and nearly all have required contacts about every 5-7 years depending on the frequency of starting. I bought the volume package from the guy on the web for a lot less than a single rebuilt starter.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to