Successful mod for using angle-base headlight bulbs in LH cars

If any of you are interested in substituting angle-base 9006 bulbs, I successfully designed and performed a mod to an LH-car headlight assembly that allows the use of angle-base bulbs. See

As I stated there, I will put together a how-to with photos in the coming week.

Based on repeated advice from Daniel Stern, I decided I wanted to change to Sylvania XtraVision? bulbs. Problem is, they are only made in the usual angle base, but they won't fit the headlight assemblies of the

300M, Concorde, and LHS (my understanding is that the angle-base bulbs will fit the Intrepids without mods?). These vehicles are made to accept only straight-base bulbs. That limits you to the OEM bulb and Sylvania SilverStars? (which Daniel Stern adamantly recommends against), and possibly a few other aftermarket bulbs.

Problem is solved.

Bill Putney

Interesting mod, looks like good work.

General Electric, in about 3 weeks, is introducing a new line of headlamp bulbs to be called "Night Hawk". Their engineers are making the rather lofty claim that these new bulbs will be the world's best. They're positioning them in the market opposite Sylvania SilverStar and Wagner TruView, *BUT*, unlike those two products, the GE items will use CLEAR glass, without any kind of performance-reducing tint. I'm due to receive some samples to test in about 2 weeks and will discuss my findings here.

Regardless of how the new GE product works out, with this mod you can now use the Sylvania (Xtravision) 9006 or Philips/Narva (RangePower) 9005 and

9006 high-efficiency bulbs...and if you want significantly more high beam punch, you can use HIR1 (9011) bulbs in place of 9005.

See

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Looking forward to the "how to". My '99 300m lights are not bright enough for these tired old eyes.

Gramps

Jim Shulthiess

Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass the info. about the Night Hawks and HIR1 as well as the bmwz.org link (referencing you as the source of the info.) along to the 300M ezBoard.

Bill Putney

Daniel,

What do you think of the H1R1 (high beam) and H1R2 (low beam) alternatives shown in the link you posted? Same wattage ratings as the

9005 and 9006 respectively, a lot more light with a slight sacrifice in life. Does higher brightness automatically equal more aggravation for oncoming drivers?

Bill Putney

Hmmm - somehow missed your post until just now, Jim.

It will probably be another week on the how-to. Will be in the form of photos with comments on fotki.com - will post a link when done.

Basically, though, you remove the three screws and cut a path for the bulb housing in the understructure including removing the one screw post, then glue the two black rings together (paying attention of where

*not* to put it that will interfere with proper assy.) with a very good epoxy especialy made for plastics: VersaChem Plastic Welding System (P/N 47809) - on the glues and goops aisle of your auto parts store, then cut the composite retainer ring (the two black rigns glued together).

The value of the how-to will mostly be in showing where to make the cuts without removing critical features so you don't have to study it so hard and possibly make a mistake. You can determine that pretty well from the existing photos posted on the ezBoard, but it's really critical placing of the cut in the black rings to the right side of the bulb housing (need to make sure you leave enough of the bump on the inner ring that contacts the outer ring in that area - hint: the cut will go thru the center of that bump so that half the bump will disappear in the v-cut waste material, the other half will remain).

Bill Putney