headlight bulbs

I need two new headlight bulbs. Went into Hafrauds today and they seem very expensive, even for the own brand ones. I got one at an Esso garage last time and I'm sure it was only a fiver or something, but it hasn't lasted long (about 7 months!).

Thing is I'm struggling to think of any other shops that sell car bulbs.

Also, what makes do you recommend? Osram are supposed to be good but I don't know anywhere that stocks them.

Reply to
neutron

There's a shop in Bristol called Automan or something which sells a variety including a generic type of bog standard bulb for not huge amounts of money (£5 or so). Maplin (I think) also sell bulbs and CPC and even my local farmers store. AFAIK if you stick with a known make eg. Osram or Phillips you'll get decent quality. I can't honestly say I've been that impressed with these 50% more light bulbs, they don't seem that much brighter in my headlamps.

Reply to
Malc

Wilkinson's - £3.99 for Ring. Most popular sizes.

Matt

Reply to
Matt F

I keep forgetting about Wilkinsons, good cheap stuff there.

Reply to
Malc

The message from "neutron" contains these words:

I've had a set of Ring 100/55 bulbs for nearly seven years now. They've been in three different cars and are obviously still going!

Reply to
Guy King

It's a Ring that I got from an Esso Shop and it's lasted 7 months.

Reply to
neutron

I think thats just bad luck, i read somewhere that Ring make the bulbs for Halfrauds who then knock them out at £8.99 each!

Matt

Reply to
Matt F

Probably a duffer. I've used Ring H4's many times and had a couple of years from each one.

Reply to
Chris Street

Have a look at

H4 bulbs - depending on the type - from 2.45 to 3.47 + VAT.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I know they are probably not the best but poundshops often sell bulb kits including headlight, interior, indicator, number plate bulbs and a couple of fuses for £1. People ofter resell them on ebay for a bit more;

Rob

Reply to
Kirky

The message from "Kirky" contains these words:

But without the benefit of spelling....

"This is a very Essensial Set" "To buy these seperatly "

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A spam I received earlier, exactly as you see it here, line breaks et al... I leave it for you to decide how tempted I am not.

Sender : Corporate Sales Subject : BMW Corporate Sales

Body : Dear Sirs

We would like to bring to your attention two very special offers that we have available

We are able to offer the new BMW 116 ES on a 2 Year deal =3

  • 23

The cost is only £209 per month on Contract Hire almost £80 per month off our standard price

Also a BMW X3 2.0 D Sport With Leather And Metallic on a 2 Year deal =3

  • 23

The cost is only £329 per month on Contract Hire almost £100 per month off our standard price

We feel this is a fantastic opportunity to drive a Prestigeous car at a very competative price

Cars available for immediate delivery

If this offer is of no interest to you then please note that we do pay £50 refferal commission

Please call our sales/helpline on 0870 240 7785

Many Thanks

All Customers who have requested unsubsribes will be removed within the next 48 hours we appoligise

for any delay

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

It's almost worth wasting as much time of theirs as you can manage. I wonder how long you could string 'em along.

Reply to
Guy King

Apparently my car takes H7 bulbs but they seem rather pricey. Can you use H4 in their place?

Reply to
neutron

I dunno. Two out of three right is not too bad. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

But they make up for it with their exemplary photography.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

No, different kettle of decaying fish.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

H7 are single filament as well ISTR so that may make the inital problem something different

Reply to
Chris Street

Any local independent motor factor should be able to supply the required bulbs and the national chains of Partco or LSUK (Lucas) should have a reasonable range to choose from

John

Reply to
John H